1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

VTA Competition Question?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by K.N Fish Taxidermy, Jan 29, 2012.

1. K.N Fish Taxidermy

K.N Fish Taxidermy Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

Hey I was wondering about the VTA competition. I am 17 and have been doing (fish only) for about 4 years now and was wondering which level should I go into? I know there is an amateur level and am thinking of entering a couple fish. I am planning on molding and casting some different fish Red Drum, Bluefish, Crappie, Bluegill, and a LM bass. Now I am going to do a lot of practicing and am going to enter one if I think its going to be good enough and if it turned out like I wanted. Anyway I am wondering were should I enter (amateur)? This would be my first competition. My work I feel has gotten better so I am wanting to try a competition. So where would you suggest starting out? The reason I am molding and casting myself vs buy a repro is because I want it to be unique. I don't wan't to take someone else's reproduction and try to compete with it. If you know what I mean. I don't wan't to take the credit for someone else's hard work at molding and casting that fish and go to compete with it. I hope you guys don't get offended because there are some amazing replica fish out there. I don't wan't to take credit for your work. I am going to try the method that Josh Knuth did with the crappie because its cheap and looks like it captures good detail. Would the bondo/resin method work for a 27in red drum or for larger fish? I am thinking of entering this guy if he comes out nice. Plus its my brothers. That is why I am going to do a lot of practicing before I touch his fish. Any advice would be great that has to do with competing. Like what to look for would be great! If things don't turn out well as of getting a fish ready to enter I will still like to go and attend some seminars and look at the mounts and meet some of you guys hopefully. There are so many nice people on here and will like to meet some of you.

Thanks for any advice.

Kenneth

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Check with...........

Check with the VTA as most state associations have specific rules about what constitutes an "amateur". Some states state that if you have ever received payment for a taxidermy mount then you are no longer an amteur and must compete at the Proferssional Division or higher.

I think that you will find it a very rewarding experience.

:)

Kerby...

3. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

You will most likely get a better critique in your professional division.

4. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Become a sponge. Soak up all the knowledge and information as you can. I learn as much, if not more, from my competitors, as I do the judges.

Get your critiques, and take your score sheets, and improve, improve, improve.

Open mind, open ears.

Best of luck, and HAVE FUN MOST OF ALL . Shows are the highlights of my year. I get to spend time with good friends from different states, that I dont see often, and pick the brains of the pros.

Jimmy

5. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

I would agree with that also.....especially since you want to take back as much information to improve as you can for your business. As a sidenote, States like Michigan do not allow you to purchase a blank and enter it other than in the newly created "commercial" division which is not judged like the other catagories and has no point scale if you want to advance to the Masters Division.......Good luck.

6. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Thanks guys for the advice. I will check into it. I wan't to enter the professional division so my work will get a more thorough critique. Jimmy that is why I want to go. To learn and absorb everything I can. Who is going to go to this show? I am planning on going unless something comes up. So I will send them an email soon with some questions. Thanks for the help.

Ken

7. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

why do you guys think a proffessional entry gets a better critique?

8. K.N Fish Taxidermy

I don't really know. I guess its more thorough when it comes to critiquing?

9. GBRUCH

When I judged the scoring was adjusted to an amatuer level (easier) but everything judged was looked at and reviewed the same. The fish is judged against a fish and if it is wrong than it is-right? The actual critique was given based on helping the competitor learn. Generally for an amatuer I would focus on just a few of the more important areas so not to overwhelm. Now keep in mind some of the amatuers pieces can be and often are better than the proffessional pieces so they did get a more detailed critique becuse they know more than those proffessional entries. I guess what I am trying to say the critique I gave was based on the person and their ability and not specific to a catagory.

I say enter where you feel appropriate. This may well be novice but does not need to be.
    Enjoy the show-----there is much to learn by being there.

10. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Thanks Gary for the help. I am probably going to enter the amateur level. Since this will be my first comp. Thanks for the help everyone!

Ken

11. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Well here is half of my first practice fish mold. 10" Black crappie.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Hi Gary, I guess I meant that I would think that one may achieve a more detailed critique in a professiional division than an amature, where maybe you would get a more broad overview. Or else, why have different levels?The overall goal is to have fun and soak up as much info you can :)

13. GBRUCH

I agree Twinter The critique often is more detailed in the upper divisions but it is expected that the taxidermist has mastered the level below first.

Crappie is lookin good.

14. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Agreed!

15. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Thanks guys I hope it turns out ok.