1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tutorial - Setting wings

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by txoutdoors, Jan 30, 2012.

1. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

I am seeing a lot of new folks on here that seem to be struggling with getting the wings set the way that they need to be, so I thought I would put something together that might help.

Here are a few photos of the skinning process. Please note that there are what I call "hard connection points" where the skin meets the body. These points are on the front (shoulder) and back (armpit) of the wing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After you skin the bird, these points are no longer connected and the wing skin tends to slip away from the body and towards the end of the wing. These must be put back in place during the mounting process. This can be done by grabbing the leading edge of the wing and pulling it towards the body, then pin in place.

The next 2 photos show what pinning will do. Notice the difference in the position of the scaps on the pinned side vs the non-pinned side. Also note the leading edge of the wing on the pinned side vs the non-pinned side. When the skin is positioned properly, you will get a nice crisp leading edge and the scaps will pull in towards the body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This might not be the way that everyone does things, but I find that it helps me so I thought I would post and hope it helps someone else.

Here is the finished product.
    [​IMG]
    After everything is positioned and I am not going to be moving it any more, I pull the pins and groom the feathers around where they were. It will stay in place if your not moving things around.

Thanks,
    Dan

magicmick likes this.
  2. EHile

EHile Member

HOLY MUFFINS! This is incredibly helpful!
    Thank you! C:

3. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

wow now i know why i have had issues with those dang wings thank you never knew to do that will be giving it a try

4. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Thanks for the feedback.

A few more suggestions for you.

1) Do this for every bird, regardless of position. Even a standing bird has these natural connection points. Pull the wing skin and pin at the base of the humerus, then fold the wing.

2) Before skinning, open the wings and note the natural range of motion of the wings. Note the bone placement as compared to the body.

Here is an example......look at the position of the wing bone in this diagram in relation to the body. I was told once, that the humerus should typically not be more than 45 degrees out from the body. I have to admit that I never checked that info against the actual range of motion, but it's stuck in my mind and using that rule of thumb has really helped me from over-extending the wings. I actually have a habit of folding the wings almost completely, then opening them to the position I want. That really helps in getting things right.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is on a live flying bird.
    [​IMG]

Again these are things that I do that has helped me and everyone has a different style. Would love to see some other ideas of things you do to get your wing set right.

5. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

thanks for taking the extra effort to help others !
    it is all much appreciated

6. This is a great help. You bring up some things I wouldn't have thought of.

7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Bump to the top with some great info here

8. Nice work Dan :)

9. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

I learn something new every time I look at this site. Thank you.

10. Wildthings

Bump

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

TX...., you need to bring up your wing skinning method as that would be even more helpful to these folks

magicmick likes this.
  12. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

Its kinda funny you just bumped this, I am mounting my third bird in a few days and this is super nice to see!!! Thanks!!

13. Wildthings

TX hasn't been on here since last December. That was the thread I was looking for when I bumped this one up. I think I found it but the pictures are gone. Still looking

14. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Barry send me your email address in a PM and I will send you TX method with photos. I made a copy of his instructions with photos and saved it in a word document. : ) wing skinning.JPG

magicmick and Wildthings like this.
  15. Wildthings

Done!

bucksnort10 likes this.