1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to fix bubble holes in bondo/resin mold?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by K.N Fish Taxidermy, Jan 31, 2012.

1. kdogg_4

kdogg_4 Member

marking

2. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

All of this process is affected by the temperature. I keep the gelcoat thin but thick enough to have a uniform coating. I always place the mold in hot water to soften it up for demold.

When you closed the mold halves you did put some resin on the edge of flange where the seam will be?

Just wait till you encounter the gelcoat prematurely pulling away from the mold sides or the sides collapsing in on themselves. There is never a guarantee. Your Christmas analogy was spot on. At the taxidermy school I worked at we always played christmas music and hoped no one got a lump of coal. LOL.

3. K.N Fish Taxidermy

K.N Fish Taxidermy Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

Well here is the 10"in bass. I let it set overnight and then tried to open it but the resin overflowed the edge of the mold and glued the halves shut. So the mold broke apart when I was trying to separate the halves. One half of the mold is still okay/intact while the other half broke apart (I made it to thin). I was able to get the cast out and it looks great. At least to me. Now what would be the best way to trim the fins without cracking them? Also how should I clean the flashing around the seam? Could I use some apoxie sculpt and resculpt the scales back into the seam? Now for the eye. Do I use a drill bit the right size of diameter for the eye and drill it out? I also know I have some repair work to do. Nothing a little apoxie sculpt can't fix. Could I use drill and grind out the seams and? Thanks for any help you can send my way as for prepping the blank. Thanks

Ken
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I would use a Dremel cutting tool to do rough cuts around the fins and the flashing. Then, come back for the finalization with a sanding disc and a small bit for the really tight areas. I usually use a small drill bit to start the pilot hole for the eye and then switch to a bigger drill bit close to the size of the eye and a sanding disk to finish the eye hole edges...

5. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Ok thanks Marty sounds good. Thanks for the help.

Ken

6. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Here is the Black Crappie. Turned out nice. I have one question. How could I fix the bubble in the top and at the base of the spiny dorsal fin? I think I might try to inject it with some resin to see if I could fill up the void. What do you guys think I should do? It caught amazing detail and I am really happy with the results. I know I will have to sculpt some missing scales in though. Thanks for any advice.

Ken
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Thanks for all the info Marshy Creek! That is a lot of info there. Never heard of cabosil? I know what you are talking about though as in the steps you said. Now is there anything I can do about the bubbles in the fins? I really wan't to use these blanks if I can. I am kind of limited on quantity of resin and bondo. I am saving the rest for my brothers 25" redfish so I kind of need the rest of the resin/bondo for this other fish. I will be posting pics of the redfish as soon as the high-fiber gets here. I bought a 10lb. bag of it. That should be enough to get the job done. Now is there a way to store this stuff? Could I refrigerate it or something? Thanks so much for all the help.

Ken

8. GBRUCH

I used to believe a moisture barrier was needed but I have poured bondo/resin over the specimen with no ill effects for years now.

There certainly is a learning curve in taxidermy isn't there.

9. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

Ken..pardon me for even trying to help you with your problem...my post was not intended to step on anyone's toes, nor take center stage away from anyone.....the pedistal is yours Mr. Bruch......I am just a low life taxidermist with no experience, and could never achieve the honors of being an award winning taxidermist let alone know anything about fish molding....I will remove my previous post as I would never want to suggest something so aniquated nor offer assistance to anyone on this site.....let alone raise the hackles of any professional.....hope your next project works out Ken

10. K.N Fish Taxidermy

There is no problem Marshy Creek! I like everyone's ideas. I like a variety of choices to choose from. That is just the way I am. Please leave your post there I am hoping someone will be able to use this thread one day to help him or her with molding fish and be able to avoid any of the issues I have had. The more choices you have the better choices you are able to make. Why would anyone be offended by your reply? Did I offend anyone in any way, please tell me if I did. I don't think you were stepping on anyone's toes.

11. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Marshy Creek, you need to chill out ! Gary was only stating how he did his fish, I do the same, no barrier at all, no problems at all. I feel that with out any barrier at all I am getting the best detail I can from the fish. But we all have our own ways of doing things, whatever works for us. I have tried many different ways of making casts, including joining the two halves like you Marshy, but I found it better to apply liberal amounts of thickened resin to the mold edges and clamp the two mold halves together, this does not mean one way is better than another, just that I found this way better for me.
    Marshy, I have never shown a fish in my life, and have never won awards, but I do not consider myself a low life,why on earth would you think you are ?
    Ken, nobody was offended by Marshy's reply, and no toes were stepped either from I what I read. Some people are just too sensitive at times.
    As for the bubbles in your fins, you can not do anything about them now ? any on the edge can be filled with epoxy, and if you paint over them anyway you most likely wont see the bubbles, if your still not happy with them then all I can suggest is keep trying making fins until you come up with a bubble free set if you can, what are you using to make them ?
    John

12. Ken,

The bubbles in your fins can be fixed if you absolutely need to fix those blanks and not cast new ones.
    Here is what I have done in the past if the repair needs to be done. (Its good to know how, but easier to cast a new fish)

Take a large syringe and needle. Cut the needle flat so it is a long tube. Drill a tiny hole the size of your needle into the fin. Its important to try and do this only on one side and dont brake through.
    Drill the hole to the top of the bubble if the fish was sitting upright.
    Mix polyester resin and fill the syringe. Insert the needle into the hole and carefully squeeze the plunger and fill the bubble. *WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHILE DOING THIS, No glasses use goggles or a face shield* The main reason for the eye protection is if for some reason the resin squirts out or the needle comes free, resin under pressure!

Once they are filled lay the fish on its side until it sets.

Marshy had a great tip for the resin in the paper for filling the edges.
    I know Marshy has been casting for longer then many of us. He knows what he is talking about.
    Although you may not always need a separator. 9 times out of 10 I use it. Never had any detail issues and the benefits are worth the risk of loss of detail.
    The coat he is talking about is so thin and the pressure of the resin or mold making material will help even it out more. I use it and can still count the rings on the scales on a casting.

If you would happen to have a colder snap or your main coat of resin doesn't set up right away (any number of reasons) you risk contamination from moisture under the scales into the resin.

As far as your casts.....Looking good so far. There is a heck of a learning curve in any type of mold making. You are off to a good start.

13. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Hey josh, you haven't been on for a while, I always look forward to seeing your work.
    John

14. K.N Fish Taxidermy

I am going to give to try and fix the bubbles Josh. Thanks for the advice. JE I am using fiberglass resin and strengthening it with fiberglass mat chopped and cut real fine. Thanks everyone! for all the help. By the way Josh I have been molding some rocks. They look great. I have taken step by step pictures of how I painted the rocks. I can post them if you want? I am going to make a pedestal mount. I am going to try to mold a nice water-shield aka lily pad and have it flowing with the current and the Black Crappie barely touching it. Now I am going to enter into the VTA competition if it turns out like I want. Now I am going to try to mold the lily pad with silicone like I did with the rocks. I will post the results when I am finished.

Ken

15. GBRUCH

Wow!!

Some folks just get all besides themselves. I didn't mean to offend you Marshy creek. Not sure what got you going but just relax your post was informative with good advice and I was hoping you had more to give. I mentioned what I do and use because I wasn't sure if you had similar results or not and was hoping for a banter back and forth. I guess you must have mis read or interpereted something else.

I was just speaking to someone earlier this evening and they mentioned how little they are on here due to the drama. I need to folow suit.

Have a good night.

16. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Hello Gary

I agree with you on that
    A few folks really show how insecure they are
    Really amazing what you can find out about some of these guys just by searching their user name

17. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

your to damn funny Carl....maybe to much 2 part auto clear coat....no insecurity hear at all nor am I sensitive...quite the contrary....I say what is on my mind, and often to bluntly......I find it funny as hell reading all the ideas thrown around in an effort to help someone out, and how so many of those put their foot in their own mouth....right CLEW?......."some of these guys"....LMAO....who are you?.....now I know you are an expert on two part auto clear coat like JC...but....are you expert enough to look at that finish and tell anyone what product it is?.....give me a break.....and why CLEW, since you are on of those "other"guys would you need to strip your own fish?.....your to damn funny.....but what do I know?.......I am so far behind the learning curve, I have never received a ribbon to post on my avatar so I could boast some credentials, and climb up the ladder to stardom....now, if you find typing a user name into search "really amazing", you must be bored as hell, or offended that you put your own foot in you mouth.......type in "foot in the mouth disease" and press search.....statistics should show that Wildlife Artists are the most common carriers......"A few folks really show how insecure they are".......that's even funnier than Larry the Cable Guys best line....my reply: a few folks really show how stupid and un educated they are in an effort to get in the spotlight....most of the time, good incite and solutions to many problems in this industry fall to the wayside if you haven't reached that level of "AWARD WINNING" when you offer help.....GLTY Carl, and keep that search button humping!

18. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

Ok John.....since I am old and have many wrinkles, please draw me my 72 hour soak to get rid of of them.....if you only knew how easy it is to make them disapear right before your eyes

19. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    That was easy
    Too draw you out

20. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

"draw me out"?......now that is funny Mr. Lewis....some taxidermists don't live on this site nor need to post questions for help....do you want to beat me up?.....your pokes are so funny it is stupid.....you never did tell why you need to strip your own fish?.......and really Clew how much UV protection do you need for a fish hanging next to a light bulb?...... the fact is, live fish under water are not glossy but satin if not flat.....I guess what you are trying to say is that your work is far superior based on the fact you can mix a 2 part auto finish, and strip it when you mess it up.......but what do I know......you won a blue ribbon ..."bravo", and I have never won a ribbon, nor care about ribbons.....happy customers and green paper is all I care about.......I'll come out any time CLEW.....just PM me....smooch