1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Those who have mounted a King Eider

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by King Eider, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Oh Harry, what have you done LMAO!!!!!

2. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

yer on! theyre like potato chips, bet ya cant just have one or two... or ... ya, you get my drift. DANG, how i wish i had another in the shop.

NO KIDDING! i cant wait to get some time booked.

3. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Can we please change the name of this thread to..."Those willing to mount Harry"...I mean, "Let's Kiss Harry's"...Ahh wait, I mean..."Suck up to Harry for a King Eider!" ;D I agree, with Mike...Those who have gifted a King are either very generous or very stupid! lol

4. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

... Harrys got a hairy what? Rick, have you been following him to the potty again? :-[ :eek: ;D

kissing azz, sucking up, willing to... ah hell theyre all the same arent they! ... id pretty much sell a piece of myself (almost) to get my hands on another one of those freaking BEAUTIFUL SOB's!!

im guessing on how many "Our Father who's" to say ... and you can bet youre own sweet behind im praying on the generous part! :D

5. Dreamwing

Dreamwing New Member

You silly boys can continue to fight over thouse frozen birds. I'm sneaking into Cheese's Carry on bag in 2013 and killing one for myself!

6. Kings are a regal bird and someday it'd be fun to mount one simply because I've never done one, so it'd be something different. I can't say I've ever thought of common eiders as a particularly fun bird to put together. The hens are very pretty IMO.

I'm wondering if Kings are worth the hype. From the outside looking in, I don't get it. All the hunt pictures I've seen look pretty miserable. It almost seems like you're paying a bunch of money to go sit on a desolate rock in the middle of the Bering Sea, freeze your azz off, and hope to get out and shoot a few Kings if the weather cooperates. Besides being able to puff your chest out in front of other bird guys because shooting a King is apparently some sort of status symbol, what makes them so worthwhile compared to going on a wingshooting trip to say, Argentina, New Zealand or Mexico?

If nothing else, it is nice to see people getting excited about a prime genetic specimen for a change. I also don't get the constant hype over mutts/hybrids, leucism, mutants and other genetic freaks.

7. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I have not been there and done that, however, I plan to and I plan on DIY. I want the specimen and I want the adventure. I live near the Mexican Border and hunting ducks in January in a short sleeve T-shirt is enjoyable but certainly not an adventure. I've hunted in New Zealand and although it was a blast shooting Parries, Pukekos and Black Swans, my most memorable part of that trip was the hike into the Alps where it was in the low 20's and 70 mph winds. Miserable ? yes ! but I loved it and I've got my airfare to do it again this May/June.

Attached Files:

8. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

ps
    A trophy that was easy is not as memorable and cherished as the one that was hard earned.

Attached Files:

9. I agree with u matt, Especially about the ugly, fenceliner parkducks. Everyone automatically thinks its got to be some magnificent cross lol! I will be just as excited to kill my first King as I will be with my first Caper, Hazel grouse etc. I've watched the videos of Island X. Looks like just another seaduck hunt to me. I'm going in 2013 because I just want some to mount. I Can think of other trips I'd much rather enjoy but those trips arent gonna put any Kings in my freezer lol! As far as the "King eider club" and all the hype. Means nothing to me, Stuff like that is conjured up by guys like Aleutian King to sell seats in the boat. I grew out of clubs after the 5th grade I think.

10. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

I killed a hen king in valdez outta sheer luck and have zero plans to go to st paul and shoot a drake. however, wanting to kill a king is no different than a guy who is a sheep hunter wanting to kill a marco polo because they are the "king" of sheep, or wanting to kill a 200" deer if you're a deer nut. Hype is for those who live to duck hunt. I could care less about shoooting mallards in flooded timber day after day if I lived in the midwest, but being on the ocean in january and shooting eiders and scoters, as a duckhunter, is pretty damn cool...

11. IMO what defines something as a trophy is purely up to the individual. What I view as a trophy has changed over time, and what little 'trophy' standards I have left fluctuate. I tend to agree with your definition; for me it's been much more about the experience and challenging myself than anything I've shot. It's why the duck hunts where everything goes wrong and the few you get you had to work hard for are the most memorable. Limits that come quick and easy are easily forgotten.

I'm going to start the Devils Lake bluebill club. To gain membership you have to cross the main lake on a windy November day in a 14' Jon boat. The motor can't exceed 20 horse. You then have to shoot a bluebill from the opposite shore. Life preservers are worn only to aid the authorities in finding your corpse. It's the most 'extreme,' 'hardcore,' and dumbest club you could ever hope to join. Less people are attempting it lately; it has been at least a couple years since anyone's died. ;)

The reason why I asked is a few friends and I have started saving to go on a wingshooting trip in a couple years. We were discussing where to go and one guy mentioned going for kings. My initial thought was that if I'm spending $4-5K on a guided hunt I wouldn't mind spending the time after the shoot on a beach drinking margaritas. Argentina would be acceptable too. We've never done that sort of trip. I can see where if you've done a bunch of trips like what I'm looking to do, going for Kings could be a welcome change. Maybe when I'm older and better traveled it will be more appealing. To each their own.

12. Haha, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person not enamored with them. Looking at the bigger show results it really seems to be the fad even amongst the top dogs. To me it'd be like showing up to the Westminster dog show with a nicely manicured mutt...but what the hell do I know. I can't mount a regular duck so that it looks like a regular duck. I guess when you're that good you need to invent new types of ducks or die of boredom.

Do the judges actually have reference on these designer ducks when judging them or are they going off of their imagination? Say I get my hands on a genetically spliced specimen of a smewXking eiderXringbillXmuscovy and bring it to a show, how many judges know what it's supposed to look like?

"Hmmm, your body shape seems a little off...your wings might be set a tad high causing the side pockets to flatten a little..."

13. Rick RR GBirds

Freezing your ass off in Alaska is a joke. Don't get me wrong, I know they have some wicked days on Island X, but with temps around freezing for much of January...That is like Spring break for us Matt!

14. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

you can boil it all down to one simple thing ... "different strokes for different folks." :-\

15. rccub

rccub Member

my king must have been lost in transit. i know someone
    must have sent me one by now. ::) i guess i will just keep
    waiting........ and waiting......... and waiting. :(

16. E. Reynolds

E. Reynolds New Member

HaHa quite straight for sure.

17. Rick RR GBirds

Well, I can confirm Harry was indeed successful, so let the sweepstakes begin! Paging Mr. Whitehead! :p

18. Rick RR GBirds

Check one, two...Is this thing on? 8)

19. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

check, gotcha loud and clear Rick!

- so sorry about the untimely and late response, im brushing up on my handwashing techniques! :eek: ;)

could you please ask Mr Whitehead if he prefers hang to dry, or tumble on delicate low?

edit:
    course if you would like to pm on that last little part im sure everyone would understand... no need in getting too detailed on how someone would like their underbritches dryed and posting it in the wide open ya know... :-[

20. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

Check... Check... wtf?!!

Rick... have you gone down somewhere??!! Pop yellow smoke or cut the red wire, cut the blue&black striped, twist em together and tick it to the 24v inverter to go low band, then tick you cordinates in... :eek: ::)