1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question for part timers using Krowtann, maybe full timers too.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Nana, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Nana

Nana New Member

Just curious as to how you handle/schedule mounting.

I have a full time job and work in the shop evenings and weekends. I just switched from DP to Krowtann the end of my Jan to June season last year and am gearing back up this year. So far so good.

In a normal situation I take something out of the Krowtann process and start fleshing one evening. Finish fleshing and thinning the next and mount the next. I store the hide hair side out in a bag in the fridge during this time. It gets oil the last night before mounting if fit appears an issue. So far so good. My concern is if something arises and I have to go one more day.

Would I be better off to schedule my work where I just flesh and thin and freeze during the week and then thaw for a weekend of mounting? Seems like the whole freeze/thaw situation would be not much different than a couple of days in the fridge. Though I suppose the freezer kills the bacteria but it seems the thaw would allow it to grow once again........ ???

Trying to figure out how much time is too much in the fridge and to see how you make your work flow smoothly using the Krowtann as part of your process given limited shop time.

I am very slow at the detail fleshing, which is part of my issue. Just getting comfy with the skife. Other fleshing done with Dakota IV and mini flesher.

Thanks for any input.

2. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

Once I get home from work, I take the cape out of KT and go through the process of neutralizing and washing and then while it is hanging to drip dry I'll come in for supper. When done eating I'll start thinng it down. I usually get it all done except for the face and I'll do it the next evening. I also do it all by hand as I don't have a fleshing machine. Once it is all done I take measurements and freeze the cape until supplys come in and then I'll take it out of the freezer a day or two before I mount it and put in fridge. My capes are in the fridge no more than 2 or 3 days at most with no ill effects.

3. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I think your best bet, is to do what you mentioned. Freeze, then thaw as you need the skins.

Make sure your skins are rinsed THROUGHLY before freezing. Although the neutralisation bath will probably rinse out alot of the salt required for the use of that product, I would rinse again in plain water to remove a little more. All that salt will prevent a "good" freezing.

Heat will "kill" bacteria, but, most strains just lie dormant when frozen, only to thrive another day, after thawing.

4. Nana

Nana New Member

Thanks so much for the replies!