1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

short cape

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by garywenz1, Feb 3, 2012.

1. garywenz1

garywenz1 New Member

I've read a few posts and so there is a way to shorten the manikin right whats the best way to fix the wooden suport back on
    also I need to lengthen the nose cape is 7 1/4 and only 13around not sure if its to short to the backboard yet its in the freezer just getting the scoop before hand
    thanks
    Gary

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You can use two part foam to foam it back together or you can use any good adhesive. Once you mount the cape you staple the cape to the back of the form and that also locks them together. Pretty easy. 3bears

3. garywenz1

garywenz1 New Member

ok thank you very much
    now about the length problem lol

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    What is it, a doe?

5. Matt

Matt New Member

How short is your eye to nose on the form? Most of the time I will try and go a touch smaller on that measurement anyway, it makes for a much better fit. If you are talking more than a 1/2" then you might consider it as you might get into head issues then.

6. jorgy

jorgy New Member

If I have to shorten it I usually cut if off where needed, trace the form back onto new wood and cut that out, and then foam it onto the form.

7. tem

tem Active Member

thats how i do it.

8. garywenz1

garywenz1 New Member

cool I will try that Its a small buck my nephew killed the cape is 7 1/4 13

9. Heck Michael p has a cool tutorial on short capes check that out

10. garywenz1

garywenz1 New Member

ty cooterwitt I will do that

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Is that neck measurement after tanning, or meat measurement? If it were me I would probably order the form with the right e-n and the closest neck size and rasp down the form to fit. I supsect that you might be able to stretch that cape some, if tanned properly. 3bears

12. garywenz1

garywenz1 New Member

I can't seem to find Michel P tutorial on short capes