1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What the...? a white Canada goose!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by 2wbdft, Feb 3, 2012.

1. 2wbdft

2wbdft New Member

8) dropped at the shop a few days ago... looks leuistic to me, but i will defer to yalls opinions, specifically Nancy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

no pics of the eyes as they were obliterated by a pellet but im assuming pink. also the lids were quite small, not as fleshy as i was expecting and yellow.

anyway enjoy the pics!

2. J.NEAL

J.NEAL New Member

looks like somebody got lucky!

3. 2wbdft

2wbdft New Member

no doubt...

the bill is a bit translucent also, should be a peach to accurately recreate! ;D

4. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

Absolutely stunning! I have seen one on the wild many years ago. Saw it flying so knew it wasn't a snow. Spent the fall in our area but could never get it to come in to the dekes. What an incredible trophy. I wish some one would study bird dna and color relation so we could more accurately name the different colors like in mammals. It would be so cool to know what causes these variations!

5. drakeman

drakeman New Member

If it were a leucistic Canada wouldn't the feet and bill at least be black? Looks cool. I have a leucistic Canada but the head and neck, bill, and feet are all normal color.

6. 2wbdft

2wbdft New Member

not sure, thats why im deferring to Nancy ;). seems she is in the know with these goofy buggars.

yep, its really neat to have such a rariety in my lil ole shop. even better, its taxidermists choice on the pose! ;D

7. Barrowsgoldeneye

Barrowsgoldeneye New Member

i would say Albino Canada for shure

8. U should have sent her a PM, cause what would we know........

9. Didn't get much of a look at the eyes, but they look red. If they are, I'm going with albino!

10. Nancy C

Nancy C Active Member

Wow ..... that's a real puzzler. I would say it is definitely an albino, at least from what I can see.
    It appears to be lacking melain either completely or almost completely. The yellowish areas are probably nothing more than fat deposits showing through the translucent skin.

I can't even say what species it is for sure, but the shape of the beak definitely suggests 100% Canada. If one eye is intact you might be able to inject it with clear water and get an idea of what color it was. Otherwise, dissect the eye, rinse it off, and check the iris. Either pink/red or blue is possible, but as white as that one is I would be expecting pink.

Awesome bird!

11. drakeman

drakeman New Member

Taxidermists choice on pose!! I love hearing those words. Cool deal!

12. Brian

Brian Active Member

this has been the most coolest year for weird birds.

13. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

there is a small band of similar geese flying around ne of the twin cities mn....some more white and some with more tan and white throat patches......a bird breeder has a flock of buff geese and some tame canadas as well.....along with wild cans that drop in and feed rest and breed with his birds....every year one or two are shot by hunters.....I can go to his farm anytime and see several......that would be my first guess is that it is a wild canada mixed with a tame goose of some sort....

14. 2wbdft

2wbdft New Member

carved out the better of the eye's last night along with a "few" other things... injected it and viola! color is a bit washed out but appears to have been 90% PINK, with a sweet little band of blue or grey around the pink. wish i had a better camera for you all to see. taking it and comparing it to 14 other canadas i have in the shop right now that weigh nearly the same as it and taking measurements of some of the skeletal structure, ie, skull width and length, keel width and length, tibia, fibia, femur, pubis, illium and along with its syrinx . im convinced its a mutated canada of sorts. ive had a few mutt hybrids in the shop over the years and you can tell there's been a "visitor" in the hen house on all of them, you can just tell things are just off. example the gray-lag/Canada from a few years ago, THAT thing was homely! not with this guy... its 100% Canada goose.

man this is going to be a fun project. im going to give painting a custom eye a shot...

"knock-knock".... hello Mr Knuth? lol

btw, the hunter tells me it was with a group of nearly sixty other canadas at the time it was taken. he now feels a bit melancholy for killing it. :-\

15. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

it looks like a small bird to me. No trace of giant or tame bird there. The head and bill look 100% canada.

16. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

probablly crossed with some domestic...but you will never know for sure......mount it up ....

17. Looks like it has some labrador duck genetics. ;D

18. Nancy C

Nancy C Active Member

I don't see any domestic influence in that one. Besides, pure white is almost always recessive to the wild coloration, and albinism IS recessive - always.
    If it were a cross it would not be snow white - the genetics are a little too complex to try to describe here, but a simplified version is this:

If it were a hybrid it would get pattern genetics as well as color genetics from both parents. A pure white bird still carries the genetic code for whatever it would have looked like if it had been able to manufacture pigment. It would pass that on, and some aspects of the pattern would be dominant or semi-dominant. It would also pass on the genes for pure white, but that would be recessive.

The result would be a hybrid showing a mixture of patterns from both parents. It would not be white, though, unless the other parent also carried white. Domestic geese always carry the pattern of either graylag or swan geese, or a blend of the two, regardless of how much white they might have. They also have very heavy, thick beaks.

That bird shows no sign of either, and it would be SO unlikely for it to be a pure white, pink-eyed albino as well as a hybrid that the only logical conclusion is that it is, in fact, a genuine albino Canada goose: rare, but not unheard of.

It would have been worth a fortune as a live breeder ... but, oh well.

19. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

whatever.....you wont know for sure without dna testing....but have seen a ton of them around here in mn land of the giants.....mated with farm geese

20. 2wbdft

2wbdft New Member

good lord... :D

"whatever"? really?? you sound like a teeny bopper with that sort of dismissive statement.

for the sake of my own curiosity, and the fact you sound more than a little pompous on the subject. i spoke with two different biologists about this white goose thing i have in my freezer. one in person, the other over the phone after his review of the same pics. on both occasions when i mentioned the fact it has pink eyes and zero pigment anywhere, they both come to their own separate conclusions it is in fact Albino. The one gentleman didn't have a whole lot of spare time to explain. the other, on the other hand explained it nearly in verbatim of what Nancy had to say and went on to mention that had it been the product of a barnyard mutt breeding with a wild Canada or vice verse, there would be evidence in some pigmentation somewhere but namely in the eyes, they would have been brown or hazel. being pink the argument stops there... its Albino.