1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Elmers Glue as fin backing

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yes that's right. McKenzie discontinued Sobo glue and I decided to try an experiment. I used some Elmer's glue I had around I use in building habitats.

To my surprise it dried completely clear if not applied too heavy and actually dried faster than Sobo glue or any other fin coating I've used. Was it flexible you may ask? Yes, but slightly less than Sobo glue or any other fin coatings I've used.

But here's the thing: Once I apply my automotive clear coat to the fins they lose some of the flexibility anyway. IMHO we make too big of deal about "flexible fins." If they're abused or the fish is dropped they're going to break no matter what fin coating you use.

Here's why I'm using Elmer's glue from here on out.

No shipping charges
    Easily available
    Dries clear and somewhat flexible (definitely enough to do the finish work and not worry about damaging fins as when you're in a time crunch and do the finish work before fin coating
    Dries quickly
    Doesn't compromise quality
    Is compatible with my lacquer sealer (Ace lacquer sealer in a can) and my lacquer paints and automotive clear coat.

I also apply my seam strip at the same time I'm doing fins and use the Elmers glue for that.

Anybody else try it?

2. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

I use it always....cheap and effective.

3. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Good to hear from you Cecil.

4. dougp

dougp Active Member

I used Elmer's 35 years ago....still have some fish from old displays and the fins are fine....some show a bit of alligatoring. I haven't used that technique for over 30yrs. but I'm sure it's still fine.
    Are you back with us Cecil...?

DougP

5. Wow, Cecil is back. Wait till George finds out. ;D. Good to see you're still kicking.

6. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

I have used it before and it was fine.

7. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I also have used Elmers glue mixed with powders for scale tipping.

8. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

old stand by always have on hand welcome back

9. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

Hello Cecil, what you got swimming around in those ponds of yours....how do you keep the fin from warping

10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Cecil I get sobo glue at any art store.

11. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Good to see you back Cecil. Hope all is well.

I would be leery of using just Elmer's glue, without adding glycerin at least.

Eileen's Tacky Glue is what we have been using. We actually found it at wal mart of all places. You can buy it by the case directly from the company. By far the BEST fin glue we have ever used. Much better then Sobo even when Sobo was good.

The quality of Sobo glue has went down the tubes since they started getting it from overseas. That's why Mckenzie stopped carrying it. I have talked with the people that make Sobo.....as far as I'm concerned, its over for any use in taxidermy .

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I seal with clear lacquer in a can first. Sorry should have mentioned that. :-[

I should have some 1 lb. and 1 lb. plus gills for sale as soon as I get a break from deadlines, aquaculture presentations and a convention, and can harvest them. Also large yellow perch, some possibly in the 14 to 15 inch range from another grower if his wholesale price is right. The really heavy ones will be just before they drop their eggs in March or April like the ones below. (The bluegills usually aren't this dark).

[​IMG]

My well broke down a while back and I just now got it repaired. My brook trout supplier should be getting re-certified this spring as he came down with a false positive for IPN in his brown trout, which meant he couldn't sell trout for a couple of years. I plan to pick up a 150 nine twelve inch 1 year old brook trout to grow out to about 5 lbs. and over this spring ready for sale in 2 years.

I've been tinkering with and building equipment for a coldwater recirculating system where I can produce trout indoors away from mink, otters, herons, and grow them faster year around. I can grow a 17 to 19 inch brook trout in their second year now in the flow through pond but don't get any growth from December to February. I should be able to put 3 more inches on them growing them inside under controlled conditions.

It will be at least a year though until the pole building is up. In that building I should be able to grow out brooks, browns, and tigers in there tanks with a fraction of the flow I use now in the flow through pond. Density won't be too high to prevent bad fins.

Check out the color on this brook trout that was fed a color enhancing diet in my flow trough pond. Just under 4 lbs. Would have loved to give it another year.

[​IMG]

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm at least 45 minutes from the nearest art store. When I did buy it from an art store it was more expensive than McKenzie even taking in account the shipping. Like Aaron said though, it may not be the same quality it used to be.

Thanks for the tips Aaron! I may to try the glycerine but don't seem to have a problem now. I'll look into the product you mentioned but I do like the fact I don't have to order the Elmer's glue.

Thanks all for the kind words. I am a much more relaxed person these days. Rarely drink Mountain Dew (used to drink at least a dozen cans a day) and I work out three times a week. I dropped from 182 lbs. to under 160 that way.

14. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Welcome back Cecil!

You've been gone SO long that I should probably update you on a few things.

Since you have been gone Yox is now doing FISH.

George is now the proud father of triplets! Yep, three bouncing baby girls. Hef would be proud!

I finally went ahead and had the sex change operation. SO, I am available if you'd like me to forward some recent pics.

Have I mentioned that Bill is now doing fish? Thought that was worth repeating.

McKenzie now owns everything, including this website, WASCO and even the deed to my house. BTW, ixna on the posts about "Mckenzie Shipping Charges" (use the orange button - lol!)

Geez, unfortunately I can't even think of too many originals that are left to make more fun of - lol! They either all left or were BANNED!

Welcome back dude!

P.S. You may wish to stay out of the Current Events category at least until after the election - lol!

15. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

NOW THAT WAS FUNNY CHIT MARTY..WELCOME BACK CECIL

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Marty,

You funny man!

No interest in the Current Event's category. No one changes anyone's mind so why waste the time getting the blood pressure up?

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cecil this site has sorely missed you and I, for one and delighted youre back. We may have political differences but I tell anyone, you're one helluva fish taxidermist. If any of you ever need replacement fish, NO ONE sells better or more perfect specimen. He packs and ships fish better than anyone I've ever seen. Cecil Baird is a good man, a great taxidermist, and I'm glad he's back. S lot of you beginners should be as well.

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thank you George for the kind words. It's good to be back.

19. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

Cecil glad you started to ramp up the fish farming again...perch and bluegill look good...5.lb brookies, can't wait

20. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Welcome back Cecil....JL ;D