1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

piebald buck....tanning with leg bones?!?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by L Jay, Feb 4, 2012.

1. L Jay

L Jay New Member

Just got a buddy's piebald buck hide. He told me he just wants it tanned...opened up the bag and, whacha know! its a FULL deer hide. Leg bones are cut at the knee and hoofs still attached. Question is.....do I go head and skin out the leg bones and leave the hoofs on when I am tanning it? I think the plan now is to mount the deer as a full size mount at a later date(the guy bought the hide off someone, and never looked at it, didnt realize it was a full mountable deer). This hdeer was shot in 2009 and sat in a freezer till 2010, then went to the taxidermist and somehow got sold cause of no payment.....when he brought it to me the hide was starting to pull out, so i did put stop rot on the hide and told the guy he may lose it when tanning( that way, I warned him far and square before tanning). This is only going to be my 3rd tanning adventure, so hoping it all goes well.....provided I figure out what to do with the legs...any ideas?

Thanks guys and gals :)

2. juniper

juniper Active Member

Yes they need removed. Check out the link

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,63626.0.html