1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Plumping up fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by JE, Feb 6, 2012.

1. i do nt think joan rivers will tell u her secrets :D

2. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Well, after spending 24 hours in bed on Friday with a "sickness bug" that knocked me for six, my Rainbow trout is still in its ice bucket ! I had also taken a big Salmon out of the freezer so this became my priority today. this had a few "dents" in it, so I tried thinning caulk down with water and injecting this under the skin, but it was still too thick for the needle to handle, so I made a couple of incisions in the fin junctions and shoved the caulk nozzle in right under the skin where it was needed, then smoothed things out with my hands, in the smaller places I simply injected alcohol, it works to some extent but I still need to find the right stuff for injecting.
    I just hope the trout is still OK, I have my doubts though.
    John

3. I think I have the solution. Since caulk, glue and similar materials solidify quickly and have limited workability, how about a liquid polymer clay that you can inject under the skin in various areas with a high pressure glue injector? I have one for injecting wood glue into chair and furniture joints without disassembling the piece. Liquid polymer clay can be molded and shaped under the skin and more can be added without changing the consistency of the original amount. It cures at 300 degrees in an oven so there's no fear of it hardening during the molding process of the fish. Liquid Sculpey is one brand of this clay, but it might have to be thickened with something to hold its shape better under the skin. Just an idea.

4. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

silicone gets hard quickly...not latex caulk....that sculptie clay is kind of expensive

5. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Finally got my rainbow out of its bucket this morning ! it has been in there since Thursday morning. So I reckon on about 65-70 hrs. I put it in salt water, (I guessed it would help stop bacteria ) and also stop the water freezing, I put ice in the water and stood the bucket outside in below freezing temps, (until yesterday when things turned a little milder).
    Normally I would not even think about leaving a fish in water this long, but guess what, it looks fine !!! nicely filled out, with only a few places needing "plumping", these were done with caulk through the fin openings. I will post a pic once I get a cast made.
    So sorry but no more experiments on this fish, but I hope this thread keeps going and the ideas keep coming.
    John

6. X2
    Trout, without a doubt are very hard to mold "Good on both sides"....for that matter they are a challenge to mold good on one side LOL
    I think most who offer Trout blanks mold the specimen in fiberglass resin or plaster, then "Chase" the mold to repair shrikage, the best that they can...I agree with Rich B. , any solutions to this problem are appreciated..

7. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

GEEZ, that is one of the easiest things to fix in molding fish...I am surprised that even an expert has no advise.....that is the first thing I learned when choosing to mold fish......I guess there must be multiple layers in "learning curves"

8. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

LOL!

I am no expert just marginally experienced. I did give my advice--I would skin mount it as imho not all specimans are good candidates to mold as is.

Please enlighten us

9. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

sorry Gary......my learning curve is far behind yours, and I would not want to guess and share bad advice.....after all, I am not an "Award Winning" taxidermist.....sorry to hear trout are so hard to mold.....maybe you missed a few steps on your way to stardom..smooch

10. JE

JE Well-Known Member

"Ok John.....since I am old and have many wrinkles, please draw me my 72 hour soak to get rid of of them.....if you only knew how easy it is to make them disappear right before your eyes"

Marshy, your wrinkles are not caused by the same thing as a frozen trouts are, yours are the same as my own, old age ! and I guarantee soaking will make them worse LOL.
    And apparently I am not alone in wanting to know how to make these wrinkles disappear, and any solution to any problem is easy , once you know the answer.
    But I guess any one could say they knew how, now couldn't they Wink
    Marshy, not sure why your seemingly obsessed with other peoples success, ribbons, awards or whatever, but you need to let it go , LOL
    I come on here for help, advice, inspiration,friendship in some cases and the odd laugh, I do not give a hoot who has won what, done what or otherwise, I have had plenty of help from World championship winners and beginners alike. I try and help others, get on with my life and am happy with what I do, (apart from mold damn wrinkly fish !)
    John

11. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

John, I am so delighted to see another taxidermist besides George that is as old as I am.....I am in no way obsessed with other peoples awards or ribbons.....it is only when that success is used as a tool to boost ones ego....everyone deserves to achieve and feel good about their accomplishments....however there is a humble way to share in ones success......there are so many "award winning" Wildlife Artists now it is not funny......I learned 40 some years ago that if you are good at what you do, people will find you, and come to you.....this is all IMO....now John, I will gladly share with you the wrinkle issue and the simple fix if you PM me.....you will never have problems with trout molding again

12. Oh Marshy... please share with us owe great one.. why keep us all in the dark tears.... :'( :'( :'(

::) ::)

13. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Whoooaaa there Marshy,
    I am not that old !!! but at 52 a life time of working in the "Great" British outdoors has started to take its toll for sure LOL

"if you are good at what you do, people will find you, and come to you!
    I totally agree with this statement. (and I am still waiting) LOL ;D
    John

14. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

Classic smart assed remark Todd.....keep on crying.....I will go back under my rock unless you want to send me a check.....after all, people do get paid for good info

15. LOL.. Such a sore salt.. Must be the winds off the great lakes... ehh marshy..

Keep ur info to yourself.. who cares... or share.. after all this is a forum... What we do is not rocket science..

JE. Like suggested by all... carve it / mount it / then cast it for the best results.....to much time involved for u then ...inject it up if you wish you will need some heavy gauge needles VANDYKES/WASCO ETC....

All the best to u... & U BLUE RIBBION WINNERS OUT THERE!!

P.S. where is Marty on this "fish Art" he to will have some sound advise.

GOOD DAY FISH HEADS!! GOOD DAY!!!

16. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

LMAO Todd....your idiotic remarks only prove my point...."not rocket science"...thats a good one......seems to me you are knowhere near blast off.....or maybe your rocket is a dud...classic example of foot in your mouth disease

17. Case in point... nothing good comes from your fingers tips..
    Guys like u are a dime a dozen.. so wrapped up in negativity like a cancer it consumes you... someday I hope you find happiness in your craft.
    Good Day.. MY BLUE RIBBION FRIEND!

18. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC

19. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

As I sometimes do, just to see how a thread digresses from the original post, I opened this post at the last reply and worked up backwards. Wow! This pot sure doesn't need any stirring...eh? Hey Carl...."X2" to who? Who's side are you on? ;)

20. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Sure is not marshy creek by any means
    Absolutely right
    Was a great thread I picked up a few things from it, as I do with many on here
    Would just like to hear something posative from this dude