1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

greasy bear

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by HeadzUp, Feb 6, 2012.

1. HeadzUp

HeadzUp New Member

i have a black bear i have started. i degreased him according to the directions with
    epi-grip earlier in the process. he is in the pickle and still seems greasy to me. can/should i be degreasing again? i'm not comfortable moving to Lutan with the way he currently feels. he is the first of 5 I am starting for this season and want to make sure i am degreasing enough.
    thanks in advance!
    Shawnee

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. Not sure about the degreaser you used, but if it feels greasy to you, chances are it needs done again, and if the degreaser didn't seem to work the first time, you might want to consider trying a different one.

3. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Degrease the bear again during the pickle after the first shave, in a separate degreasing bath, then back in the pickle, should work for you if the degreaser is doing the job.

4. little elk

little elk Member

SD
    I just recently finished a really greasy badger. I used a degreaser in the pickle and did a degreasing bath near the end of the process. It really turned out good! If you are going to try it this way make sure you use a degreaser that is compatible to use in a pickle.

Good Luck

5. HeadzUp

HeadzUp New Member

Thanks! I was going by the 'if it feels like it needs more work, it probably does' theory, glad to know i was on to something. I used epo-grip the first time around before the pickle. Any suggestions as to what is a good degreaser at this stage? I have read and found a thousand suggestions but trying to decide which one can be tricky. :-\ these are my first bear so i appreciate info from others who have done bear or other greasy critters like the badger. I am using Oxalic Acid for the pickle. He is shaved as good as i think he is going to get and is ready for Lutan, but like I said, I don't want to go forward until i feel like he has been degreased properly.
    thanks !!!
    Shawnee

6. Knobloch's Super Solve? think that's the name you would see, works pretty good.

7. HeadzUp

HeadzUp New Member

Re: Re: greasy bear

thanks!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine