1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking for taxidermy training in Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Training' started by babowhunter, Feb 6, 2012.

1. babowhunter

babowhunter Man,I love this stuff!!

Looking for a taxidermist in Minnesota that offers one on one training.I have done a few mounts and looking to bring it to the next level.Thank you for your time!

2. Dan Gill

Dan Gill New Member

do you have a shop? what if the teacher were to come to your place? Dan Gill

3. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Where in Minnesota?

4. babowhunter

Dan ,yes i do have a shop.Its a little small but it works for me.I guess i would be interested in letting the teacher come here.I am located near Alexandria,which is about 180 miles northwest of MPLS/St.PAUL.I have had some replies and i was hoping for a few more.Anymore interested?

5. might be worth a drive over to door county mike orthorhber is a great taxidermist

6. babowhunter

Oops!Dont know why i didnt mention this before but being i am from western Minnesota i would consider a taxidermist from North or South Dakota also!
    Let me know!Thanks!

7. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

what areas of training are you looking to improve on....ie small mammals,birds,fish etc....

8. X2 on that. Some of us would be better or worse help in some areas vs others. I'm about 12 miles from Park Rapids

9. babowhunter

Hey byrdman and gameover taxi,Thank you for your replies.First of all i have only done whitetail shoulder mounts and that is the portion that i want to take care of first.But i am also interested in doing mammal,birds, and fish,etc too in the near future.If you or someone you know are capable and interested in doing this in the categories mentioned above let me know so i can use them for future reference.For right now i am looking to take care of the shoulder mount portion so if you know of someone let me know.I have had numerous pm's sent to me with some good leads but haven't made up my mind as of yet.

10. Would you consider a school or workshop? If so I know a few in the state. Also I like your plan of focusing on one thing at a time at least until you get it down decent. Then learning the others can help from getting complacent in just one and keep you motivated. But if you did jump back and forth before you learn one you could get discouraged quick and not get efficient at any within any reasonable amount of time. I wish I could have been able to focus more on one at a time when I started.

11. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Free lodging here at my studio if you can make it to Montana:)
    One-on-one, gameheads, and life-size.

12. babowhunter

Gameover taxi,thank you for the comments.I am employed fulltime and have a great job and career so going to school would probably be out of the question.I am looking for more of a one on one type of training.It would have to be basically on a weekend.If you know of anyone that is capable of this let me know.

13. CodyTheCorgi

CodyTheCorgi Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Im also looking for some taxidermists that might be able to teach me a few things. Im in the twin cities for the most part.

14. hey all; I do whitetail courses custom taylored to fit your needs. I am in Iowa 10 miles south of the MN. border have many prior students and can give references . my name is Jeff Morris , Big River Taxidermy Lansing Iowa 563-538-3840 thanks

15. stu

stu New Member

I just got back from Jeff's place from a 2 day class and wow! I learned so much in those 2 days then i could have ever imagined. Jeff will meet any needs from commercial work to competition work, prep work to finish work. Make sure you bring your camera to take all the reference pictures you need of his pen raised deer (Homey). You can not beat the training that Jeff offers. Top notch operation. If there is anyone is interested in Jeff's classes feel free to call me.

Kyle Schlesser
    712-540-5868
    Presidernt South Dakota Taxidermy Ass.