1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coyote nose real or fake?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by nokes, Feb 7, 2012.

1. nokes

nokes New Member

Which do you prefer, I like the real nose on a bear but have never done a Coyote.
  2. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

i rather use the real nose on anything...

3. use both =) put an artificial under the real one, helps to add realism and you get a more accurate nostrol in my opinon.
  4. contact "Cole" he will tell you how to use the real one with artificial he will even send you pics if you ask him to
  5. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Real one is the way to go, if you lack the skill to sculpt noses then let someone else do it and put a artificial one under the nose skin.
  6. Matt

Matt Active Member

The real thing. The biggest part of the real nose is getting it turned and prepped right. If you can do that, why use an artificial one? The only time I use one is if I cannot save the real one due to bad scarring, or missing alot of tissue. This usually only happens with the big cats I do, and I have only had to replace a few.
  7. I use them when I can the fake ones look better but getting it on and blending it in so its undetectable is the challenge
  8. I started putting the real one over a fake one after talking to Cole one year at the Iowa show and haven't looked back since. the key is getting the nose thinned really well.
  9. I find that if you have the unskinned head, making an alginate mold and casting it with Smooth Cast 325 with a little red lacquer paint added to part B prior to mixing the two parts gives the most accurate repro nose to use under the real skin. If you can't make a death mask cast of the nose, check out the repro noses by Brian Harness. The pink tint helps with the inner nose realism.
  10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

For competition skin over a replacement is the way to go. You can get by with clay for a commercial one, but what better time to practice the technique? That's why most of my commercial dogs get the skin-over-replacement noses.