1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Real or artificial gills?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by leiniesdrinker, Feb 7, 2012.

1. How many of you guys use real gills in skin mounts? I'm tired of the wrinkled up junk when they dry out and have tried a couple of different methods. I was just wondering what seems to be the best way around this. Just a thought. George

2. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,72518.0.html

3. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

artificial gills in big fish, if they look like real gills....natural gills on smaller fish...except trout and salmon

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use the real gills. I card them so they dry nice organized, not a wrinkled mess. 3bears

5. cut out some cardboard in a half circle like the gills. place in between and let dry. Shiny cardboard works best, reduces sticking
    once dry remove cardboard and paint

6. Thanks for the replies. I've done the cardboard between the gills and wasn't really satisified with them. Paul, do you caulk that chennille and then flatten them or just iron them or what? I have to admit they look better then what I've been coming up with and will give them a try. Thanks again for the replies. George

7. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

I saturated them with liquatex (same thing I use on deer noses) squeegeed the excess off by pulling between my thumb and finger and the carded flat between the plastic canvas.

PB

8. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

The 4mm is no where near plush enough. I liked the 15mm, but none to be found anymore. Even the 12mm is hard to track down. Been checking with a couple suppliers/manufacturers, but the quantity they list for minimum order would be cost prohibitive.

PB

9. Thanks Paul. Much appreciated!! George

10. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Bump chenille is only good for small panfish and it does come in red.

PB

11. rp

rp Member

hi guy's

I make my own gills with bodyfiller, very easy to make and can be made for all sizes of fish. Looks very natural.
    Will make a tutorial on how I make them if people are interested.

12. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

go for it RP

13. rp

rp Member

will do so lol ;D

14. Sounds interesting to me too. I'd like to see it also.

15. I'm like to see it as well!

16. I freeze dry them unless I'm using an artificial head.

17. den007

den007 Active Member

Real gills just suck for so many reasons. Grease, never look full, contorted shape, stink. The chenille can be convincing, but corrugated cardboard can as well. Rick Hardy from Unique Species sent me some saltwater fish with very full looking gills. The 2 layers of corrugation give a nice full look.

Another option is the red foam stuff from any craft store. I have used it for a long time, but am becoming a convert to the cardboard after seeing Rick's efforts and talking to him about it. Easy and quick and economical. Very convincing.

18. They look very full, and grease free if prepared properly and freeze dried.