1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

curled bondo ears(added pics)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by TLN, Feb 8, 2012.

1. TLN

TLN Member

utah
    I just had a mule deer head dropped off for cleaning, overall it looks really good except one ear is curling in pretty bad,more towards the tip,kind of a big wave, he didn't say anything about it but, I'd like to fix it if there's any ideas. The head is 5 or 6 years old.And why would the bondo curl in like that? I did search for answers first. Thanx

2. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Re: curled bondo ears

Heat it real hot with a hair dryer then reshape and card.

3. Jattebur

Jattebur New Member

I found a post a while back hat suggested using a hair straightener. Still haven't tried that one!

4. TLN

TLN Member

utah

Thanx Ron ,I'll try that, but i wonder if I should rehydrate first? Atteboy,I seen that post too but I think it was just skin he was straighten. not the bondo

5. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama

I have never rehydrated but I guess it wouldn't hurt. Just heat it a little beyond where you need to reshape it. You can tell when it starts to get flexable. Don't go to quick though and break the bondo. Good luck.

6. Re: curled bondo ears

If it does break, you can always take a pour cast while the ear is rehidrated and inject it into the ear all around where it broke and in the crack, make sure to get plenty in there, card into place and let dry

7. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

if it's curling, then there is NO BONDO THERE! re-hydrate slit the edge seperate the ear, piece in some sort of earliner tip and use 5 min epoxy to glue back.

8. monarch

monarch Member

Yep, no Bondo there. X2 on the fix.....

9. TLN

TLN Member

utah

Definitly bondo in there, it's the first 3" of the ear, i'll try to get pics up later. Thanx

10. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Are you doing this for free since the customer didn`t ask for a repair on the ears .

11. slee

slee New Member

12. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Are you using straight bondo? If so, pull the ear and use bondo, resin and chopped fiberglass.

13. MAC1

MAC1 Member

I have a mount that is 5 years old. Ears are bondo and there is curling. Can it be fixed and how? I'm in the same boat.

14. Re: curled bondo ears

Sounds like the ears didnt get turned all the way.

15. TLN

TLN Member

utah

o.k here's the ear , the 2nd pic,I wet the hair down. It feels like maybe only 3/16" of tip was not turned [​IMG][​IMG]

16. eliscull

eliscull Nov. 2011

NJ

umm just putting it out there that if the bondo was thin sometimes..rare that the ear cartilage in time will dry and shrivel. it may pull from the bondo or even break it as it shrivels.

17. TLN

TLN Member

utah
    eliscull, It isn't drummed at all ,but it does have a ridge in the back ,like it may have cracked it ,i'll let you know more when I get time to mess with it.

18. Eliskull is correct. To repair you will have soak up the ear and the ear butt. Open the cape up and pull out the clay, break the bondo up and pull it out. Now make sure the ears are turned to the edge and score the cartilage with a knife. Score about every 1/4" or less length wise and width. When it dries this will keep it from manipulating the bondo. Mix the bondo like michael P said, and work into the ear. The rest you know about. I am telling you this from experience. It mostly happens to mule deer.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i also have done re-mounts that had bondo ears....simply soaked the ears, broke up the bondo and pulled it out, cleaned and replaced with earliners with no problem at all.....