1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

did ya ever regret taking a job on ! (updated mounted up pics)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by fozziebear, Feb 9, 2012.

1. millardtaxi

millardtaxi JOHN 3:3

Re: did ya ever regret taking a job on !

do not let your customer run your buiss, yes you have to be professional about the situation but do not have to back down to him, and if you want to mount something for the show and compete, do not let him get in the way of your decisions, chances are anyone that he may talk to already knows how he is anyway. seem to me that your a professional already anyway, due to the fact that your losing sleep over the guniune care of your buiss and rep, but there is NOTHING wrong with standing your ground.

2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I am not in your shoes or even in the taxidermy business commercially however, if you think the ear set will look bad, try to get the customer in to see what it will look like when it is done. If you have another head in progress but not complete, hold the ears in the position he wants and show him what it will look like. If he still wants it, make him sign it was mounted to his specifications.

My concern would be when his buddies see it and laugh he will blame it on you in an effort to cover for his own stupidity and try to make you look like bad.

I know it is hard to turn down business but sometimes it is for the best. When I had my electronics repair business, I refused to serve customers who "thought" they knew more than me. Let someone else deal with the problem.

Hey Rick, I am getting close on that lifesize I got from you......finally!!!

Vic

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Fozzie.... just take control of the situation and make this guy your bitch!

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN

As far as being there when you mount. If you're gonna accommodate him on this issue. Mount the antlers on the form call him, have him come in and use earliners to show various positions once he decides take a pic and send him on his way. Tell him you will call him when it is dry and finished. Customers like this are a big pain but they keep us on our toes. Once this situation is over you will probably laugh about it. 3bears

5. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

You are dealing with a classic case of an indecisive, OCD SOB! Do what Bill said and what MR T reiterated.Then get it and all his stuff out the door and drink a 12 pack and be glad it and all the other work you are doing for him is gone.

6. Re: did ya ever regret taking a job on !

Yep! What Michael P. said.

I think the best thing you can do at this point is get it done and out of your mind (I almost said hair) HA HA. Chalk it up to a learning experience. You will always learn more from a mistake than a success.

7. GC424

GC424 New Member

I would have him over to watch you mount it after you drink the 12 pack. I'm pretty sure the problem would be solved then. ;D

8. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Yea Greg I do not drink anymore but if I had 12 beers I can guarentee I would'nt have to worry bout that job anymore. My drink'n buddy's used to tell me I was the most fun to hang out with UP TO 7 OR 8 BEERS after that ......no more fun lol ! I will have 5 whole years with no drinky in March !!!!! ;D

Micheal , I got on my phone and saw your post and cracked up ....I needed that !!!

As for now I am gonna just have him over when I get his form and go over ear placement before I mount like one of ya had suggested... lol if I had to mount that while he stands there and watches his bill is gonna sky rocket damnit......he will be get'n a YOXATHON BILL IN THE MAIL RIGHT :D

tHANKS FOR EVERYONES SUGGESTIONS, I really like to hear how the pro's handle this crap, I know I cant be the only one that run's into this poo!

9. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Oh and super, glad to hear your gonna get her mounted up finally Vic !!!!!! I cant wait to see her !!! The deer of coarse lmao :eek: :D

10. Brent W

Brent W New Member

I feel for ya. I think I would tell the guy 1st your cape isnt show quality and the pose we agreed on is not one you want to use or even the form and pose. 2nd I dont know what you told him for time frame but I would also consider that there are 20 heads in front of him if he wants rush work there is a fee. I have had those customers and you may never be able to please him. Your work is your best advertisement. He cant hurt that. If he is that type of guy probably everybody knows it and take him with a grain of salt. If he is cant make happy kind of guy...No matter what you do he will be complaining. Like I said let your work be your advertisement

11. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

i wouldn't accept work from him anymore...you don't need the pain...

12. swampfox

swampfox New Member

Fossie, I feel for you man. There are some folks you can't help but to remember when they come back with something else. Good luck !

13. Re: did ya ever regret taking a job on !

I got a guy down the road from me I bought have to rude to story goes year after year he talks about bringing me deer and well he never does but he wants to learn how and I keep telling him no I don't teach classes he finally this year had a euro mount he wanted me to show him how to clean it and I told for 125 I would show him well he insisted he was going to boil that's when I said have at it well 5 hours later he showed up at the shop with a see thru deer skull I like to laughed my butt off he was like what did I do wrong I said u boiled it he sailed that's what the other taxidermist told me that's when I told him there's the reason I get all the deer mounts around here now ain't seen him since so some times u just got to let idiots be idiots

14. linder

linder New Member

I am a professional worrier and I know just how you feel, but BELEAVE ME you are putting to much thought and worry into this matter, you need think about how you really want to handle this and concider all the advise that these good pepole have given you and then go with it .Now after you do take care of it do not set and second guess yourself stand by your decision and let the cards fall were the may.life to short and down the road if it's ever mintined just say'' that was an unusual situation '' don't dwell on it and go on from there . just my thought on the matter GOOD LUCK.

15. Re: did ya ever regret taking a job on !

16. Re: did ya ever regret taking a job on !

Been there! I feel your pain. I think honesty is the best approach. Tell him he's at the end of your list, since he was one of the last to come in. it wouldn't be fair for him to jump in front of the others for the same price. if he were willing to pay rush service for 1-1/2 times the price he could go ahead of the pack. tanneries offer a rush service why can't you? tell him you've changed your mind about the competition, you want to mount your own and he'd have to go back in line or pay for rush service. don't forget who owns the business. customer's only right to a point. if you're concerned about what he may say to potential customers remember that they will consider the source. if he's a pain to you, he's probably a pain to others.
    give him the best job you can give him. be fair and firm. good luck!

17. wetthereel

wetthereel Member

if u go this route, i would tell him u r switching out the capes. to do this w/o informing him seems to be morally wrong.

also, just because someone else pays more to be moved up the list, doesnt mean those who pay regular price deserve to be moved down or rushed to make room for the other guy.

good luck!

18. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

How do you then move somebody up the list who's paying more without moving one down?

19. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i cant imagine having some one stand over me who doesn't know any thing about the business and tell me how to mount an animal. that's like me telling a Doctor how to work on me. i feel for you fozz. good luck. theres a lot of good advice here.

20. Re: did ya ever regret taking a job on !

I couldnt move nobody on my list everybody has there number and that's how the hides get sent out and that's how my forms are ordered and out they go in the same order