1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

EZ fleshing and tanning with out a flesher

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Outback Taxidermy, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I have made a DVD called "Fleshing made cheap and easy" with out a flesher. I found a method, using a common shop tool to flesh capes, and hides. I have seen the tool used, but not quite the same way. I have been using it now for over 10 years since my flesher broke down.

If you have been sending capes out, this video will be worth it! I take you from the raw salted cape/hide to the finised ready to mount product. It is almost 2 hours of simple instruction with captions, do to low volume and noise. Including the solutions used etc. It has saved me plenty of dollars and can flesh a full mule deer cape in 15 to 20 min. Here is the link to purchase the DVD:

http://www.outback-taxidermy.com/fleshingdvd.html

Greg

2. slee

slee New Member

whats the dvd worth?

3. I wish I knew what I now have on the DVD befor I invested in a fleshing wheel and learned how to use it. So if you look at it that way, how much was the fleshing wheel? The tool I use now was less than the price of the DVD.

Do you tan your own hides and capes?

4. slee

slee New Member

Right now I do everything by hand. This method of yours, is it for fleshing or thinning the cape.

5. If you mean taking the meat off the fresh cape after skinning, I still use a knife. If you mean after it is rehydrated in a pickel bath (where you would use a dakoda flesher). Yes, this method shaves it down and gives it a smooth soft finish, ready for the tanning solution.

It is for use with the raw salted cape/hyde that would be sent to the tannery. I give full instructions from this point to the mounting of the cape. Some advantages are, the tool is moved instead of hefting the hide or cape around the tool. Lets put it this way, when I told a taxidermist here in my state, who tans capes for taxidermists all over what I was doing, and what to buy, he thanked me later! He was having a tough time on a hyena that would not break. This worked for him. He is a taxidermist who sells products in a few of the big suppliers catalogs like McKenzie, Trufit, and others. He buys tanning oil by the 55 gallon drums. Oil they wont sell to just the taxidermist. So I guess I found something good, I love it and have kept it under my hat for quite some time. But sooner or later it will get out if you want to sit back and wait.

6. DRW

DRW New Member

sound like a scam to me to make money. like trying to sell snake oil. why would someone spend $20 this. Who is the guy that is saying that is so great ? i maybe wrong ,but this smells like a scam

7. Think what you want, I am not here to prove anything to you. It works, and read the first two posts on the forum from the mod. And it is not $20, it is $30... I have had conversations with potential cliants in taxidermy with people like you, I simply tell them if you don't like the price of my work, go somewhere else. Try some reading before you pass judgment, and know your facts, like the price of the DVD to start with!

8. DRW

DRW New Member

well sir , if you click on link it say $20. and if you cick buy now it jumps to $30. so maybe you should check your facts.
    you still did say who the guy is that sells products in a few of the big suppliers catalogs like McKenzie, Trufit, and others. If your product holds any ground, who is this guy ? if looking to sell anything post fact not made up people !

9. No, the tool I use cost $20 from harbor freight, the DVD cost $30, and the "friend" created the swing arm and has a tannery. I do not know what link you clicked on, the old "$20 dollar flesher"? The DVD was not even out then... so there was no price listed. After the grief you are giving me, why would I set you on to him?

10. DRW

DRW New Member

sorry we got off on the wrong foot. If you are wanting to sell something, people are going want to now who has used the tool and how well it works. allot of people will blow money on things that will not work as good as they were told. If you have people that has used the tool, then use them as ref. If no one has use this tool . no one in their right mind would buy some unknown tool. videos that are sold at $30 are sold by people that are well know in taxidermy. All of them are taped in high quality ,not by a home video camera. If they are they are on youtube for free. if you can't list names of people that have used it . I don't think anyone is going to buy it. you may have some thing good ,but with no one to back you up, it just puts up a big red flag. i know you don't want to say what the tool is, but you need to list names as ref to say how great the tool is.
    have a good day sir

11. I did give a few away, and as soon as they reply they will be used as such refrence. The video I made was to help the beginer, and experienced taxidermist who sends out his work. Like I said, I have kept this one under the hat for a while, then when I saw it out, using the wrong wheel being used, I took the time to make the video from start to finish. My time is worth something, like yours. And once in a while I give out some free work, when I am moved to do so. But for some one to just expect me to just give out freely everything I know when I have to survive myself, I can't do it all the time. All I can say now, is ir works, and someone else made a tool and is selling it for around $500 to taxidermists that can not do what I learned can be done in a fraction of the time what I learned. So, no problem...

Greg

12. DRW

DRW New Member

well that is great. i guess time will tell
    have a good one

13. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

what is a high speed hand cutter Outback

14. The crab on your post looks like a hand cutter...

15. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Most people that I see who sell DVD's post a short clip so we can preview. You can upload a clip to youtube and post a link here. That would help. Otherwise you are saying, "I've invented a great method and will sell a DVD showing the method, but I can't tell you anything about it. You're going to have to just trust me and buy it."

16. If I showed the tool and the wheel type, then my DVD time and directions would have been a waste of time. I know if you saw it you would say, damn, I should have thaught of that. Lets just say it would out do the mini flesher 10 to 1. Takes me 15 min. to do a large mulie cape, including around the eyes, and even fleshing the lips. So I understand the frustration, im waiting for a few freebies sent out to verify the ease, price and sucess.

17. I gotta admit ,,,that statement sure sounds like someone blowing smoke!
    I can't wait !!!

18. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I would have to see someone skinning, fleshing, turning ears, lips, and nose on a deer all in 15 minutes to believe it.

19. falco

falco Trapping is fun

If your idea can be revealed in 2 minute clip,,
    Then believe me,,, you wont be able to make money of your idea,, because even if your idea is that great,, all it takes is one or two DVDs you sell, and then the word and IDEA will be shared to other buddy taxidermists and so on without selling any more dvds,,,
    If its a tool in everybody's shop,, and no one have thought of it, then I cant see how you can make money of your tool idea.
    So I wouldnt count on it much.

20. I know that will happen, but that is why I included the whole process of tanning, mixing chemicals etc. Because once its out, it,s out! I hope those who do get it will just say yes it works, and say it was worth what they paid. But we shall see... I just know it has saved me the price of a new flesher. Besides, 30 bucks for a worker to be fleshing, beats 1000 per worker.