1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Outlook

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Kim Owens, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

First let me preface this post with the knowledge that I realize the NTA has not been my best friend for the past several years. Let me also say that I would happily support and do my part to help build the organization that I was a long time supporter of once again if I knew that the entire board and executive branch were 100% for the membership and not for a just a few. I will not respond to anyone who wants to beat that dead horse to me. Life is good and it does go on.
    With that being said- what the heck was that in our mailbox today? I remember a time when the annual report actually had financials in it- the good, the bad, and the ugly. It allowed the membership to see what direction the organization was headed so we would know what to do to help or not help the group. As someone said earlier about the calendar that the NTA sent out, the organization should refrain from the personal beliefs they put in their materials. I am a God-fearing woman and I believe in Him and the life everlasting with all I am. I do not believe that there is a place for religion in organizations that are not religion based. The NTA have a wide variety of people as members and each are entitled to their personal beliefs. The first 2 articles I read, and there are only a few in the whole magazine, really disturbed me. 1st- the Presidents report. I am sorry that your daughter was in the hospital. I am so glad it was not life-threatening and I pray that she is healing and doing well. I do not think your writing that at her bedside was a bad thing but I do think your pulling our heart strings about where you and your family were at that moment was unnecessary. There are many of our members that go through this kind of thing that don't have the opportunity to share their problems with an entire organization. Your President's message should have talked about the industry, the organization and what is going on in our future. The same goes with the VP report. Comments and reflections of a friends mom's funeral are not appropriate for your message. I did not read one thing in the whole magazine that focused our where we are as in industry. I did enjoy the pictures of the beautiful mounts at the NTA show- congratulations to all the winners and I in no way want this post to reflect on your wonderful work and accompishments. Also, before someone slams me about membership, for the first time in 20+ years, we will not renew our membership to the NTA so maybe I am not entitled to these constructive comments.

2. Dan Gill

Dan Gill New Member

"I do not believe that there is a place for religion in organizations that are not religion based." (Wow, I just learned how to copy and paste :) Im not sure there is much point in debating this one, as I wont change anyones mind, so I will just say, Religion? I agree. But God, needs to be formost in everything we do, and decision we make. If He is not, Satin will take the oportunity to take over. Thats all :) I hope you and Danny are well.

3. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

I agree Dan. God is first and first in my life. But, that is my decision to make. All is well with us, Danny is doing good and busy as ever. Hope we can run into each other sometime soon.

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I am not saying this as an NTA thing or any other thing...BUT, if you want religion in the NTA hold voluntary church services in the mornings/evenings and prayer before the dinner....otherwise you need to call it the CNTA (Cristian National Taxidermist Association) or search for a different non profit classification if this is the direction you are going to swing the organization.

I believe in God and I am sure a majority of your members do, but it is NOT your position to promote your religion to Taxidermist's. You are not missionary's, you are promoters of this industry. That should be your only mission statement and let your personal views guide you on that path.

There is nothing wrong with the formal prayer before a meal, but seriously, concentrate on the industry and not on yours or anybody Else's personal beliefs. After all, if an Agnostic or Atheist won a National Award would you want to allot him time in your magazine to present HIS/HER view? If you do not, watch the religious statements. As a non profit geared toward education, not religion, you would be walking a tight rope not allowing him/her to express opposing views. That's the last thing the NTA needs is more legal bills.

5. Dan Gill

Dan Gill New Member

well thats kinda sad. I suppose, "legally" you are right. I always screw things up royally if I put God in the back seat. As for me, I think it is my responsibility to witness, or be a missionary to all I meet. I would hate to exclude my taxidermy friends. I dont preach, but try to make the most of opportunities. but the government does make it difficult to do, what this country was founded on. freedom "OF" religion, not freedom "FROM" religion. well, I better get back to my elk head.

6. michael p.

Dan, I Wholeheartedly see where you are coming from and I truly respect your feelings, but if you re-read your post you consistently say 'I', 'I', 'I', 'I', 'I', 'I' 'I'...... you never once say 'the members'. As a current or former board member your loyalties when you took the oath of office are to the members, not yourself or your personal beliefs. If one cannot separate from what they individually want and what the membership wants then they should excuse themselves from said duties and position.

Kim is not the first to bring this subject matter up. There has been much chatter about the calander scripture on facebook also. Not just from what one could describe as 'disgruntled members', but from everyday members. You know Dan, in my world if one person tells you about it, it could be hearsay. If two people tell you about it, it could be rumor. If 3 people tell you about it, you better take a look at it.

The NTA is about (or suppose to be about) education. In your calendar there is plenty that we can draw simply by picking up the Bible that most of us keep on the night stand and many of us read daily devotionals from....., there is not one tip though that can lead us to be a better artist. We are in charge of bettering ourselves and making our religious devotions, you are in charge of making sure the the education of this industry forges ahead. Have we lost sight of the members by doing what 'I' feel is worthy? In the first post it looks like you lost 2 more members because of 'I'. Does that bother you?

7. I joined the NTA so I could attend the show in Sioux Falls. I didn't get a calendar. But I do agree with Kim and Mike. I don't need religion force fed to me in a taxidermy publication. I do receive some Cutting Edge emails but that has been it for me. Maybe they should email out Outlook too.

Seems like a poorly run organization to me. You lost another member here.

Bruce

8. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

Outlook is for taxidermy...not a church sermon magazine....

9. Dan Gill

Dan Gill New Member

Sorry M.P. I guess Im not following too good. Im,not sure what members I lost. Im not a board member, I dont think I am even a current member. and yea, I refer to "I" alot, cause Im always right :). And you missed the "religion" reference. I stepped in my own pile there. religion can ruin a good organization, including churches. I just try to be a good witness when ever I can. I have to keep Him first wherever I am. but I aint a very good preacher. except I do like to professy (sp) out of 2nd Daniel. youtube has a good poem thing, why I hate religion, but love Jesus. thats kinda where I am. That dont answer any NTA concerns, but ....I guess I just dont know. I only got opinions.

10. michael p.

That sounds fair to partly cloudy to me Dan :) Have a great week!

11. Dan Gill

Dan Gill New Member

Im sorry, but I had a thought, and it dont happen very often, so I thought I would try one more time to explain. When my time comes, I dont want to get to heaven, only to have the Lord say, " Im sorry, we arent having a taxidermy convention here, we dont have room for you". Hows that? :)

12. michael p.

I'm pretty sure that a taxidermy brochure full of religious ideologies is not going to save anybody's soul from heaven or hell...... but it probably will save a couple of people a few hundred bucks who may think a revival and not a Taxidermy convention is coming to their state.

Heaven will be a lovely place and I know I'm going there. I live with faith, not fear.

13. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Kim, I agree with you. If I want religion I will attend church. Nuf' said on that. Where are the financials??? Where is the Executive Directors report??? Where is the members list??? Is this a new format for the annual report??? Seems like nothing ever changes. I can't wait to see the 990's that HQ files for this year....!!!! Could be some very interesting things listed this time around....!!!!! ;D