1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

eye rotation problem

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by turkeyjim, Feb 14, 2012.

1. I have a aggreesive buck mount I just mounted up today. For some reason I can't seem to get the rotation right on the left eye. The eye itself seems to be too big, 32 mm. I've dremmeled the eye, but when I get it where I think it is suppose to be, it appears to be set in too far in the front, but when I get it back out, the white in the front shows, and the white in the back goes away. What can I do. This is really giving me a problem. I need a couple ideas.
    Jim

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

First off, what type of eyes are you using? I use alot of pre-rotated eyes and most of the time, I don't have to do much to the orbit to achieve the look I am after. Taking alittle out of the entire orbit and replacing it with alittle clay will give you some play to set and rotate your eye as well.

3. I like to use the forward look eyes for the aggressive deer that I mount. Just remember that when they do the side step their head is pointing one way but the eyes are looking the other direction. Here is a picture of a couple that I did a few years ago. I really like these eyes when doing a big eye rotation.

Attached Files:

4. I use to I32JM meader eyes. I do have some prerotated and it would have been easier to use them for sure. Thanks Matt. I do have them looking in the opposite direction, the inside eye is fine, its the outside eye that is giving me trouble. I'll figure it out . You can see it next week Curtis, I'm sure it will still be here. See ya then.
    Jim

5. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

If an agressive deer is mounted accurately, he DOES have a buggy eyed look at times. Depending on whether the eyes turn with or against the head turn, youll get different looks. Just remember, eye SET doesnt change, its the rotation, and the eyelid that changes. Personally, I prefer an eye with total sclera to allow me freedom in rotation, I just dont like prerotated eyes, no disrespect to those of you who use em!

6. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

I have a question if eye set is the same you mean the level of the pupil correct?I was thinking to get rotation right you would have to drill out the eye socket on the manakin to the direction and rotation that you would need correct?

7. kdogg_4

kdogg_4 Member

marking..

8. this is what I came up with, how close am I
    Jim

Attached Files:

9. Here's a another pic of the whole head, is the ear placement right

Attached Files: