1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best airbrush?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by tmf48, Feb 15, 2012.

1. I'm fairy new to this and want to upgrade to a better airbrush. The one I have is a cheap Pro Air beginners model. I'm looking at the following:
    Paasche Talon dual action gravity
    Badger Velocity dual action gravity

The Paasche is a little cheaper. Is there a noticable difference in performance between the two?

2. chadleek

chadleek New Member

I myself prefer the paasche H single action, I like to keep things simple and this airbrush is easy to use......I bought 8 of them and am going to build a homemade manifold and have a airbrush for each color so I don't have to clean out the gun every time I switch colors.....The paasche will last a long time if you take care of it and you really can't beat the price of them.......

3. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

The Paasche Talon comes with a .38mm tip(medium coverage). The Badger Velocity comes with a .21mm tip(detail tip). The smallest tip with the Paasche H is the #1 .55mm(broad coverage). The tip size is critical to the job that you plan on using it for!

4. den007

den007 Active Member

Size is critical! x 2. You will never, ever get the detailing from a Paasche H that you can from a Renegade. That said, use the H for water based paint, broad color washes. Use the Renegade for details.

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I used pasha for years
    The bought two renegades from Paul and love them
    A fine tip and a med

6. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

have to go with badgers for fish...

Paasche for GP work

7. Iwata by far!!!!!!

I use a cheap Paashe to do larger base colors but my detail work is done with an Iwata Hp BC Plus and I'm considering upgrading from that soon.

My pops has a Paasche Talon and I hate it. I use it from time to time when he talks me into painting a deer head for him. Its just one of those things when you go from a Cadillac to a Kia. Some people are content with a cheaper airbrush but if you get a really nice one you can really get some killer detail work done and enhance your work.

8. xtpoz

xtpoz New Member

9. X3
    I agree with Travis..
    I know many use the Badger Velocity or Renegade, and do great work.
    I personally much prefer an Iwata...

10. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

With all due respect, I've been using airbrushes longer than some of you've been around. I bought my first Paasche H in 1962. I've been using the SAME Iwata HP-B since 1984. What gets me, is the people who have never had more that one airbrush and come here and answer the airbrush questions! In addition to the airbrushes I own and have owned, I've been in a lot of shops and tried others that I've never owned. Some of which you couldn't pay me to own. What amazes me, is how many try to get by with the cheapest POS airbrush that they can, when the finished product that they turn out is dependant on that airbrush. Especially when the difference between that POS and a really good airbrush is often less than $50-$100. I'm even more amazed, or perhaps amused, by taxidermists trying to do everything with ONE airbrush.

Actually, no one should ever have to "ask" that question here.....IF they've done their research! There are SO MANY posts on airbrushes, that anyone should be able to access all the info that they need, with minimal searching.

11. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

C'mon, Old Fart, tell us how you really feel- quit holding back LOL! I will add that I was ready to upgrade and was going to buy an Iwata, but kept hearing all the hype about Badgers so I saved some money and bought a badger Renegade. Fast forward to the second time I used it and it went belly-up. I'm sure it was user error, but that NEVER happened with my Passche's. Prolly gotta send it in somewhere or figure out what happened, but I will probably buy an Iwata next. DS

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

[email protected] I had to laugh at that "single" airbrush comment. I looked up at my paintbooth and there hangs a Paasche H, a Badger Spirit and an Iwata HP-BC1. None of them are there for decoration. I think there's a Restore over in the cabinet someplace.

13. I had a Badger too Dave and it was good. It detailed really nice and you could get some real fine lines with it. But it just wasn't as smooth as my Iwata. The trigger was a little touchy and didn't flow like my Iwata. Now if I had never tried an Iwata first, then I probably would still be using the Badger. Actually if you do want to save money, get a Badger. For the money they are great but as the post says "best" my vote it to the Iwata for detail. As for base colors, my vote goes to Paashe. They do hold up well.

14. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

i seen them new iwata microns...almost $500...drop it on the floor and i guess you start crying LOL

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

CC, that's why you go to Harbor Freight and buy those interlocking 3/4 inch foam floor pads to put around your airbrush station. The Badger and the Iwata haven't been that bad, but that damned Paasche. It's good they're "cheap". It ALWAYS hits directly on the tip.

BTW, I think that Micron was intended for inks wasn't it? I don't think it wil handle even thinned lacquers.

16. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Any air brush will only be as good as the individual using it, IMO there is no BEST of anything, it is what works for each and every one of us. Buy the most expensive airbrush and use cheap paints/mediums and/or incorrectly use the brush, and guess what, it will NOT work. If there was a BEST, then there would only be one, no one would buy or even try another. This can be said with every thing we use in life. To get the best out of any tool, one must learn how to use it.
    John

17. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

they handle paint...if fact a couple drops of it...they retail for amost $700...go idea with the foam pads

18. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Travis not sure which Iwata you use, but I had 3 CM and 4 of the different HP series. None worked as well as the renegades. The ultra fine tip combo takes getting used to, especially if one is used to spraying through a .5mm tip combo. My badgers are way less finicky that my Iwatas were. The Iwatas were nice when the wanted to be, way too temperamental for me. Kind of like some women. lol.

My $100 Badger will outpreform any of the $400 Custom Microns I had.

Paul B

19. I think "Old Fart" had it right...
    Ideally YOU should try out various air brushes and see which you like best.
    I personally prefered my Iwata over the badger brush I had. Trigger was much smoother on the Iwata.
    But here again...thats just me..

20. Paul I don't dislike the Badger. It performed well. Its just my Iwata, I feel is smoother and felt more comfortable in my hand. I guess there can never really be a "best" airbrush considering personal preference and the need for multiple airbrushes. Maybe the better title for the post would be "Most preferred airbrush".

Paul, women temperamental? shewwww...... you ain't lying. LOL But my airbrush doesn't argue back. LOL