1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best airbrush?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by tmf48, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Any of u guys remember they Paasche Turbo... I had nothing but problems with i back in the day...lol.. now its a paper weight.
    I Thought boy if I get that I gonna be able to do such cool art.. .. Practice makes perfect no matter what gun u wheel...

I also have a old thayer & chandler love that little girl blows heavier base paint like no there.

It's all in your needles, paint, dyes, air control set ups, & comfort level..

2. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Do you want my thoughts on the best or PREFERRED??

I have had every brush at one time or another...even the dreaded Aztec!! They all have there good and bad points.

I keep going back to the Pasche H. The large profile just feels right to me. Inexpensive(not cheap), TOUGH, Easy to use, easy to clean, and other than buying a new tip once in awhile easy to maintain. I paint, blow some water through it and hang it up. Sure there are some air brushes out there that allow me to paint a .0000000000000000000000000000000000000002mm spot on my fish but I don't see a need. I have won many 1st place fish awards using the H and honestly how much BETTER do I need to paint when doing commercial fish taxidermy? I do a lot of fish and I really dislike having to deal with any of the more popular Rolls Royce brushes when painting all day. I just don't have the patience.

If you have to have a detail brush I like the Badger Renegade. IMO the easiest to maintain of all the detail brushes. I have that one and really like it.

However their Woods and Waters PAINTS are far superior to any on the market IMO. THEY will make a bigger difference in your work than any airbrush will. I will state that I have and will always use water based paints as my shop is in a residential area and laquer blowing in the wind all day makes unhappy neighbors. So if you use laquer your mileage may vary.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I pale in comparison to the masters here but I keep going back to the single action Passhe H and their smallest tip. I've found I can get really fine work by the addition of retarder. I'm a keep it simple stupid guy I guess. I'm not alone as another fish guy whose fish work is world class, LaVerne Miller, uses the same. He's about 25 minutes from me.

4. Ok guys, sorry I caused such a stir here with my question. I guess I was just trying to get some opinions without having to go out and buy them all to figure out what was good and what wasn't. Thanks for all the answers and opinions and Old Fart I apologize for ruffling your feathers! lol

5. LOL That's an everyday occurrence here on the taxi net.

6. I've heard some really good things about the Krome from badger too. I well known and world class fish guy told me about it and and I read some reviews on it as well. I think I might just get one and use it for the more detailed work and use my Pasche for the broader coverage spraying. Anyone bought one of these yet, I think they are fairly new on the market.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Badger must have really improved since my early days. I can remember when a Badger wasn't that good of an airbrush. Anyone else remember that?

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LOL Cecil, you're absolutely right. At one time I owned 5 Badgers. Two were in transit BACK to the factory to change that damned internal "O"ring and one was on its way back to me. I sold all 5 with all the accessories for $20 in a yardsale. And I have to agree with you guys on the "H". When I want a fine redundant spot pattern, the "H" will beat any double action gun out there, any day, all day, every day. With a double action, one nervous tic will have you stripping paint and starting all over.

9. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Yes, Cecil, Badger has come along way in the last few years. I bought a Velocity from Paul(Pescado) at the 2009 World Show. I liked the airbrush, but I felt that it wasn't quite as smooth as my well worn Iwata. I figured that would fix itself with use and it probably would have, but I couldn't get used to that unnecessarily LARGE paint cup. So when Paul told me that there would be a small cup version(Jet) coming out, I put it away and waited. the Velocity is now gone and I have the Jet. I will be putting it to the test next week with some fish painting.

10. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

What? There was a "stir" and I wasn't invited? WTH?

For the record I have a Velocity, Rage and a Richpen.

Velocity for painting.

Rage for spraying Gloss.

Richpen is a back up.