1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Silly question on fox tails

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Barrett Creek Taxidermy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Out of all the things we do as Taxidermist for some odd reason I still fight Fox tails. I find I rip the dang things every time...... Any more experienced advice would be great. Sure tired of trying to repair the mess up's...

2. Bob Mead

Bob Mead Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

Do you use a tail stripper to remove the tail bone?

Attached Files:

• Tail.jpg
      Tail.jpg
      File size:
      10.8 KB
      Views:

3. krusher167

krusher167 New Member

By no means an expert, but u could just cut down the tail and then superglue the incision back up once the bone is out... if its that much of struggle why delay the inevitable? Making an incision is much more controlled than tearing, and fox tails are bushy enough to hide it.

4. Yip, Tried the tail puller. Tried cutting down the tail (that was fun!). Im sure the question has been asked before. Just testing the waters here to see how a more experienced "Fox stuffer" lol, would do it.

5. I had trouble too. What I'd do is, after the whole animal is skinned with the tail bone left in, I skin it down just enough to put the tail bone base into a vice (fox down, tail base up). Then, I put the tail strippers between the vice, and the fox skin (which would be hanging down at this point) and just pull down with all my strength. The vice holds the tail bones still, and the tail skin slides off after usually 1 or 2 good tugs.

I hope that makes sense. I could never get it to work without the vice.

6. By no means am I an expert but I have skinned a couple fox and never had a problem with the tail. I made my own "tail stipper" from a piece of wood that I cut a V shape in the end and screwed it down to one of my work benches. I put the tailbone in the V pointing toward the fllor and use a pair of pliers to grip it and just pull ...works great! :)

7. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

the key is.. PUSH the skin off the tailbone... dont pull it off.

think "push" instead of "pull" while you are doing it and it will make sense..

i mean, you are pulling, but your not.. you are actually pushing the skin..

i use the vise method often too

good luck!

8. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Know big deal at all , just wrap two screw drivers lightly around the tail bone, then pull the tail bone out of the skin, on fox or coyotes or smaller mammals I do not use anything but my fingers to pull the tail bone out.

9. My way....

Sharp tipped knife... Start at the base and carefully cut to the tip. If I'm lucky I can do it in one single sweeping motion.. but more often than not it takes 3 or 4 swipes at it. Then separate the very tip of the tail from the skin and pull down on the bone while holding the skin and remove it. less than 2 minutes a tail.. Works great for me.

10. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

i just did one the other day with a gut hook.. right down the whole tail to the tip..

i still rather pull the tail bone before splittiing tho

11. the way to go

12. zifdenpants

zifdenpants Member

I split mine.

13. huntin_justin

huntin_justin Active Member

I usually lace mine hanging, then use the tail stripper. I wrap one hand around base of tail to hold it steady and pull with the other. I've come across a few stubborn ones but never had one I couldn't pull out yet. And very fortunate to have never ripped one either

14. kaos2nyte

kaos2nyte New Member

Check out this video of a guy skinning a coyote I tried this method on a fox just yesterday and it works great. Tube skin the whole animal and flesh then do whatever incision you intend to use once all the fleshing is done. His method of pulling the tail works pretty slick!

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=CA#/watch?v=DZBMr3AgWQE

P

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I use a tail stripper and never split. If I were sending off to a tannery I would pull the tail with the stripper, then run a knife up it to split.

16. I learned my lesson trying to split a tail off the bone the first time I ripped off the tip. Doh.
    I'm sure other people can do it, but for me, I do it the same way as Cole. Strip them split if I have to.

17. Bill R.

Bill R. Member

George had a detailed post a while back describing a tail cutting tool he constructed and how he taped the hair back for cutting and sewing. Should be able to find that in a search. I think the point was made in that series of posts that spliting the tail allowed degreasing and also better access for salting and tanning. However, I go as was described, just sliding the skin off the bone and then poking a small hole out the tip with a sharp wire and pushing salt and tanning solution down the length of the tail and have had slippage. But I could see the argument for splitting.