1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

knoblochs safety pickle

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by miami_fins, Feb 15, 2012.

1. miami_fins

miami_fins New Member

hey everyone,, im new to using acid pickles... i was using pretan 110 ... but i been wanting to use a stronger pickle, so now im using knoblochs safety pickle... it says i need to maintain a ph of 1.8 to 2.2 . every day i been checking it, its been around 3 or 4 ... so i been adding safety pickle and bringing it back to 2....... dumb question, am i doing this correctly???? haha ???

2. I am just a beginner but I run mine between 1 and 11/2,it takes a couple days to stabelize,I pick the hide up and work the pickle in and out of it.

3. juniper

juniper Active Member

How big is your pickle ? For a deer cape I mix 7 gallons with no issue. I used to do 5 gallons and had to add acid daily.

Was you hide/cape clean, blood will affect the PH.

4. x2 if your fur is dirty/bloody it will bring the ph up fast. try re hydrating then de greasing then into the pickle.

5. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Add enough acid at the beginning and you will not have to worry about your pH going up.

6. miami_fins

miami_fins New Member

ok great info! i originally used 5 gallons for this one deer cape....

7. slee

slee New Member

I had the same problem using citric acid with 5gal of water. twice a day I would have to add acid to keep the ph down. A couple days later I added two more gal of water/salt and have had no problems since. So no I use 7gal min for deer capes and 12 for bears....

8. miami_fins

miami_fins New Member

10-12 for elk capes?