1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skinny faces...anything to help?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Oakcreek, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Oakcreek

Oakcreek Member

Fairly new taxidermist, done about 20 deer/sika deer shoulder mounts and already am concerned with Mckenzie forms. Anyone else know or think they make skinny faces? I will sit back and stare wondering just what this animal needs..I think its the face/cheeks area. I used the 6500 series and 9600.

Does anyone clay or pad out for fuller face or just order differently?

Thanks, Jason

2. MONSTER140

MONSTER140 New Member

ohio
    A lot of the deer in my area have a broader face and nose so I tend to stay away from those forms with the slender faces I agree they just don't look quit right. Try a Hilton Epply,Matuska or a Joe Meder form.
    \

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

I agree, try a Hilton form, the fit is excellent.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

They are not all that way. The 4600 are skinny, some 6400's are, but the HD series are very nice, 8400, 8000, 9600 are good faces, but sometimes they sneak that skinny head on one you need. I add to the bridge and fill in that starvation groove on each side behind the mouth.

5. confuzdhillblly

confuzdhillblly New Member

they just bought out ben mears try them mears are the best

6. Todd K

Todd K New Member

I just finished one of those head up Mckenzie's. I hope no more customers want them! Meder, Hilton's, and I really like the Mears too. I will not fool around with trying to build up the face with clay on any deer. Not bashing you JBest, just that if I got to do all that, I'd rather just use a different form. But that just me!(LOL) Nice buck!

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I shall clear up my comment on the starvation groove on the form. They have a slot big enough to lay a pencil in that starts at mid lip above the zygomaticus mussel. It to makes the hair point out and the nose look skinny, (a starving deer). I fill that in.

8. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Mr. T
    Did you say you fill that groove in with a pencil? It would be easier to only take deer in that perfectly fit the forms you like to use.
    Also if you steam the mussels they make great appetizers.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Wildside, do they let you use pencils? ;D

10. Oakcreek

Oakcreek Member

Thanks for teh responses. Sometimes starting out yuo just dont know if its you or the form (or both).

I just ordered a head up (Mckenzie) so I hope it does not look too bad, form apperared nice.
    I would not mind so much on the thin face but it makes the whole mouth look too long.

I am going to try Hilton Epply. Any differance when ordering, measurement wise?

--Jason

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

No Jason, all you really need to take with his forms are the small of the neck and the eye to nose. I will take a few more on certain deer, if they are short in the muzzle, or are really big or small at the small of the neck. The small of the neck on Hilton's forms is the c measurement.

12. Put an end to all of your problems, and order competetor choice forms from Matuska Supply. They fit awesome and have a very nice looking face. With former World Champion Pat Wagner and his scuplting buddies, Brian Olson, and Mike Yeska they seem to have it done it the right way, making mounting a white-tail deer fun and easy.

13. Oakcreek

Oakcreek Member

Yogi, You have a web address for them?

14. I'm with Mr.T on this one....i use clay and create muscles and fill

15. Oakcreek, just go under links at the top of the page and scroll down to taxidermy supply companies, until you find Matuska taxidermy supply.