1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How long to keep in freezer?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by boarzhead, Feb 16, 2012.

1. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

My brother just shot a nice hog in NC and wants me to mount it. How long can he keep it in his freezer unskinned wrapped in garbage bag? Doing shoulder mount. It was skinned up to head to remove all edible meat then just rolled up cape to head and froze. No salting nothing. Any help would be great.

2. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Freeze it solid before bagging. Then double bag it in heavy plastic bags. Will last well over a year. I've had people bring in deer heads they double bagged with heavy garbage bags over a year after killing them and there was zero freezer burn even on the ears. Also helps if you have a good freezer. Some freezers are terrible and freezer burn stuff faster.

3. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

Thank you...

4. AJH

AJH Member

I just did a WT that was in the freezer for a little over a year. I anticipated the ears and such giving me trouble, but turning the ears and everything else was just like a fresh one. You should be fine. Good luck.

5. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

Depends on if you have a frost free freezer or not. Frost free I wouldnt leave in there 6-8 months. The other type your good for 1 yr to 1 1/2