1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finishing Deer Eyes - Compitition?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by AJH, Feb 16, 2012.

1. AJH

AJH Member

Has anyone ever used epoxy sculpt to plump-up dead looking eye lids on a mount? I'm thinking of trying it. Adjusting them during the first couple days of drying made the eye lids look flat and dead. Is there any other methods? Thanks

2. dljhunt

dljhunt New Member

I would rehydrate them and use critter clay to redo them. I cant get a soft look with apoxie sculpt.

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Quit using a tool on them for 3 days. That will flatten them every time. After mounting it, don't touch it with anything that isn't a bristle brush.

4. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

Yup, the clay will ding or flatten when 1/2 of more dry. With no way of rolling out the spot.

5. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Cole X2

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

If you use apoxy sculpt for the eyes,,, there ain't no adjusting after three hours.

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Yep, no fixing them...ever.

8. x3

9. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

clay all the way
    I Know a taxi around here that used Epoxy sculpt on deer eyes one time and his client Hung the deer buy the fire place and it melted and ran out of the eyes .

10. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

You sure it was not wax he used to finish the eyes ?????

11. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Seriously ?? Epoxy Sculpt is not going to "melt" and run out the eyes !!!
    The hair would burn off the deer head before it got hot enough to do anything to the Epoxie Sculpt !! LOL

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

That was pretty funny right there!(LOL)

13. coon hunter

It will to I sold him the replacement cape he dint mix it right .

14. coon hunter

but he's one of those 250.00 guys .

15. Heath Cline

Ohio
    Bull Butter !!
    Even UNMIXED it will still not melt !! It will turn black and dry out super fast and then fall apart. And that is with holding a flame right against it. So it will not melt just from room temperature !!

16. Heath Cline

Ohio
    Truman, I think this guy fed you a line of B.S. And by this I mean I think he made a mistake on the head somehow/somewhere and just told you this to make it look like it wasnt anything he did.

17. coon hunter

Bull butter your A$$ with it [email protected] looked like Gray bubble gum with yellow ooze looked like it had a Infection

18. Re: Re: Finishing Deer Eyes - Compitition?

I use epoxie sculpt on my eyes and love it...I tend to be a little ocd and with the epoxie I can't ruin my eyes by over adjusting I get one shot 3 or so hours to get it right

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. Heath Cline

Ohio
    You sure it was Epoxy Sculpt, 2 part PUTTY ??
    For the Epoxie Sculpt to get that hot to even turn black, the hair would have to be singed off of it !
    Here are some sample pics for you to show exactly what I posted before. It turns black, dries out real fast & them crumbles apart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Heath Cline

Ohio
    AJH, If I am doing a commercial mount I use Epoxie Sculpt. But if I am doing a competition mount, I will use critter clay for various reasons. Mostly I want to adjust and fine tune the eye over the next couple days and I can keep the clay "soft enough" to do that , where the Sculpt I couldn't.