1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need help with an elk

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jessicaj, Apr 20, 2007.

1. jessicaj

jessicaj New Member

Just bought an elk cape but I'm having some problems with my measurements. It has a 26 inch neck, got that, but my eye to nose I come up with 13, I don't think this is right. All the catalogs a26 inch necck usually has an 11 or so eye to nose. Now for the antlers. I don't have the antlers that go with the cape and it's kind of a sloppy Y incision so I THINK i need antlers with 9 inch bases, that seems awful big to me but is that kind of standard for that size cape or am I not putting the incision back together right? I was just playing with it, trying to figure out what I need but I'm just getting confused.

2. cht

cht New Member

Heres some pics the one on the floor had 7 inch bases gross score 315 inch.it has a 31 inch neck and 12.5 inch eye to nose. the one partly mounted has a 28 inch neck and a 11.75 eye to nose, the bases also were 7 to 8 inches [ hard to measure w/ hair on]. the smaller rack I will get a 24 to 25 inch cape for

3. Ed Chambers

Ed Chambers New Member

As with any form be it a shoulder, lifesize or other, the measurements will not be what you want. You will have to find a form that comes close to your measurements and adjust from there. You may find a form that comes close to the neck measurement but the eye to nose will be off and if it is, just decrease or increase the measurement to your measurement. As for the antlers. When you do get a set you will once again have to make the necessary adjustments unless you get lucky a get a set that nearly matches
    the hole diameters. Ed.

4. MONSTER140

MONSTER140 New Member

ohio
    Jessicaj you maybe stretching the length of nose to long before you measure it , try to place it flat and position the head how it should look from the side. Don't pull the eye to nose to far. I f it still is a long measurement lengthen the nose on the form.

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Jessica, I have sent you a pm with the info you need. Anything else? just pm me.