1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BIG 8 on the 6900....

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by newbie2008, Feb 17, 2012.

1. newbie2008

newbie2008 New Member

I realize most of you have probably forgotten more about taxidermy than I know, but, I just wanted to say...I mounted this deer from the meat measurements. I ordered the form from these measurements and it fit to a "T". I took nothing off the form. I ruffed it up and that was it. Very, very nice to work with...
    [​IMG]

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

nice work

3. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    That looks familiar. Looking good

4. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

That is the way it should work.

5. Beautiful job !!!!!

6. jorgy

jorgy Member

Nice mount, but I dont care for all that definition. It just doesnt look natural.

7. livbucks

Depends on the season.

8. jorgy

jorgy Member

Hard antlered deer aren't early season. Early season deer aren't swelled neck. So I just dont think it's natural.

9. livbucks

I don't get it.

10. Outback 33

Outback 33 U.S.A.

To each his (or) her own!
    Me either Greg!!

11. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Great looking deer,love the photo

12. MAC1

MAC1 Member

Nice job!

13. MN Archer

MN Archer New Member

mn
    Looks great! That is a big 8, nice job

14. newbie2008

newbie2008 New Member

THANKS for the compliments!! Bullwhacker I'm confused...hard horned..early season..swelled neck?? This was not an early season deer if that's what you're saying? It's was taken November 16th...no early season! Dead center in the rut and he was definitely in FULL rut. He was killed running with another buck (bigger than him) and a doe. As far as the detail goes....the form has detail, I wasn't going to fill it in. Personally I think it ad's character. JMO. Thanks for looking tho.

15. jorgy

jorgy Member

Heres about 50 deer pictures. http://www.skolaiimages.com/stock/thumbnails-18-Whitetail-Deer-Photos.html

Not one has that kind of definition. He said depending on the season, which I assume means short haired, early season deer may show that kind of muscle definition. I have never seen an early season, short haired deer with a rut neck. I have also never seen a rut necked deer with short hair. Although all that definition looks nice, it isn't natural or nature, it's customer.

16. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

So southern deer with their short hair don't swell their necks during the rut?

17. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

This me shaking my head ::) can ya hear it Seiler ;) ;D

18. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Not to mention, early season deer with hard horn do have short hair!

19. daddys deerheads

daddys deerheads Member

oh my god. some of you .,,,, very nice looking mount

20. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

For the record...deer swell before the hair is at its longest, especially in some regions of the country. Some deer swell and define more than others. Some deer swell and the long hair hides some details, yet actually accent some other details. In other words, they vary enough that we dont say always right, always wrong.

Having said this, I find that many who are using the new 6900 are over doing the details, by crowding the skin into the muscle detail correctly found on the form. When crowding the hide, it crowds the hair, giving it a very pronounced look, not often seen in the wild.

In other words, all of you are correct to a point. If you set the skin where it was intended to go, the flowing hair tips, regardless of length, will show the soft contours as nature does. I know it will, because I use this form daily. The fun part of this exchange is, we all know that the customer will like the added detail, so its the purists against the commercial customer, as taxidermy always is.

Trust me, thats EXACTLY why this form was sculpted as it is... 8)