1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A "Must Have" for Those with Limited Shop Space

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by John Helm, Feb 17, 2012.

1. If you’re like me and have limited shop space, check out this useful assembly table I made a couple weeks ago. The top is made of two 4’ by 4’, ¾” mdf panels laminated together so it’s dead flat. The edge is trimmed in maple and I laminated a maple pattern formica top to the mdf. The frame and base is 2x structural lumber with folding legs planed to 1 ¼”. Each leg has leveling risers and the base has four 4” rolling casters, two of which are locking. The great part is that the table top is hinged at the center and folds up vertically with an 18” x 48” footprint that’s 56” high. It can be rolled against the wall and stored when not in use. It took a couple days and about $275 in materials to build, but it’s utility is phenomenal. If you’re interested in where I got the plans for it, PM me and I’ll let you know. To construct this table you’ll need a miter saw, table saw, thickness planer, jointer, router, drill, various hand tools, lots of clamps, laminate roller, wood glue, screws, etc. I recommend building this or having one built for you by a local woodworker if you’re tired of a lack of assembly space. Hopefully this has been of some help to someone. Sorry if I didn't post this in the right section, but I felt it would especially apply to life size work.
  2. dog sick

dog sick New Member

looks great. wish i had the room. i like the flesahing wheel bench in the back ground. i like the way it folds up that good for small shops

3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Some of you fellas that have talent woodworking ought to sell a set of plans for your projects.
  4. rbear

rbear Active Member

Nice looking table.
  5. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

I like that a lot Awesome job
  6. Tony111

Tony111 New Member

Very nice work on the table John. Nice shop also. Does the little guy do the cleaning?
  7. nalley1952

nalley1952 New Member

How do you keep your shop that clean????
  8. Thanks guys. Actually he does help me clean and helps with mounting also. I clean the place daily - can't stand dirt and clutter :)
  9. falco

falco Trapping is fun

I was going to ask the same question ....
    Is this where you do your work ???
  10. Matt

Matt Active Member

Nice job on the table John, it looks great! In this business, nothing is standard and building to your needs will make your job alot easier in the end. Those are nice castors, I use that type for alot of things.
  11. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

That's all I could think of when I looked at that
  12. His shop? Hell, how do you keep your kid that clean? lol
  13. That is a useful, cleverly crafted piece of equipment. Thanks for sharing it John.
  14. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

Thats nice John
    Its kind of like how my salt table works.
  15. irishme

irishme New Member

??? Clean your shop!!!!!
    Not, dang it's clean. Do you use it? LOL

Nice shop and table
  16. Thanks for the kind replies. In reality, I emptied the place out recently and resurfaced the floor with a concrete micro topping since it was so spalled and pitted and got rid of a lot of junk in the process. (There's also one wall not in view that's pretty crowded). I just feel better working in a clean and organized environment - it keeps me in a better state of mind and more productive.
  17. Carl Settle

Carl Settle New Member

great job,I cant stand clutter either
  18. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

John, that is a seriously nice table. Congrats on the design. And tell the little guy good job! He has that game show assistant smile going on! Very cute! Think you could supply a cutting list and dimensions? My big 8-foot work table just sits in the middle of my shop, and all the 'extra' folding tables I use are those standard white plastic tables at standard heights ... too low for comfortable working. Sure they fold up for out of the way storage, but they just don't have the needed height.
  19. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

is that single hinges or the leaf kind
  20. Redneck Express

Redneck Express New Member

nice table and shop