1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Critique

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Tubbsy2, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Tubbsy2

Tubbsy2 New Member

Let me know what you think. All critiques are welcome

Attached Files:

2. Tubbsy2

Tubbsy2 New Member

here are the pics

Attached Files:

3. Tubbsy2

Tubbsy2 New Member

here is one more pic

Attached Files:

4. Ron1949

Ron1949 Member

Is this your first mount? It looks good. Keep up the good work.

5. eliscull

eliscull Nov. 2011

NJ
    looks good to me. What is ur own opinion about it?

6. eyes look set funny to me. they look like they need to be flatter to form. looks alienish. everything else lokks good though nice job!

7. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

A cuple of things, take a look at some good ear referance. For sure the right ear has a big crease in it were the ear base material was not positioned correctly. You could have used a bit more in that area. A good idea would be to purchae a ear liner butt system that Ohio taxidermy sells. At least put it on the ear liner so that you can get a good feel of what it should look like. As far as the ear itself, the bottom edge of the ear will not go past the top edge of the ear. It looks as though it is twisted a bit further than it should be. Look at referance.

On the eyes, it looks as though you need to get some paint off from the hair around the eyes, either a soft brissel or a piece of felt will do.

I am not sure if the rack is growing crooked, if not, it looks as though it needs to be tipped up some. It should have a nice flow with the top of the head to the nose. The eye shape is pretty close.

The nose looks a bit blue to me? maybe the lighting?

Overall nice mount. Hopefully this was some what helpful

Check out a few referance pics that I personally took..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tubbsy2

Tubbsy2 New Member

Thanks a bunch, i will be ordering some of those ear butt systems. I just can't seem to figure it our looking at the reference pics. I really appreciate all of the comments it will hopefully be used on the next mounts I do.

9. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

here is the page that you want. If nothing else, it is great referance. While you are there, purchase a replacment nose. They also make for great referance when you are working on your nose. Good luck!

http://www.ohiotaxidermysupply.com/360-ser360.html

10. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

eye brow and upper lid look a little bulbous, bringing them out to far....to swelled looking....as in the reference photo's ryanolson posted for you, you can see they are not as swelled on a live deer...still is a nice looking job....

11. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

I'm not to game on critiquing due to various reasons, camera angles & depth of field distortions, and it so hard to do accurately without being in the presence of the mount. To top it off my own mounts are by far not perfect, but I can give you some sound advice. Accumulate all the reference you can and realize that all of us here can critique all day long and we still can't tell you as well as the real thing. REFERENCE ... That being said, My reference tells me whitetails differ dramatically across America, different genetics, small deer, large deer, boxy deer, skinny deer and when you throw in adolescent deer vs mature deer it can be confusing to a beginner ???. The fact is Whitetails are as different as people are.
    So, using reference We'll look at some things mentioned before.
    1st is the lower edge ear theory notice how the angle is close to your pic? Notice the lower lobe?

Attached Files:

12. Steven Klee

Second: this photo shows where the earbutt crease should be placed on an ears forward deer. Also notice the flow of the antlers with the head mentioned before.

Attached Files:

13. Steven Klee

Thirdly: bulbous eyes are usually associated with mature deer and you can overdo it if you're not carefull. In fact I am guilty of it on occasion.

Attached Files:

14. Steven Klee

Reference, what a beautiful thing. If your mounts look like your reference it doesn't leave much room for others to critique..
    I'm gonna leave you with something positive because for your first deer you did a better job than most of us. Here's my first deer I mounted over 10 years ago..

Attached Files:

15. Steven Klee

Here's a deer I mounted this past week. Thank GOD for reference.. Stick to it buddy and you'll be doing top end work in no time.. Looking at all this reference I see there are some things of my own I need to work on, see ya !!!

Attached Files:

16. Steven Klee

Attached Files:

17. Steven Klee

Attached Files:

18. Very well said Steve,nice reference,anymore available?

19. Steven Klee

I should have stated in all my ramblings, instead of assuming, reference also includes 3d as Ryan Olson suggested. Good point Ryan!!!