1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

finish work

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Tubbsy2, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Tubbsy2

Tubbsy2 New Member

I just posted a few pics of some deer that I recently finished. I am still having trouble making the eyes look nice and smooth. They usually look pretty rough around the edges and I just can't seem to put the life back in them like I would like to.

I usually really like the way they look after I get them mounted when they are wet and even once they are dry, but once I do any epoxy work or painting around them they just don't look very good to me.

Does anyone have some advice on how to finish off the eyes so that they look more lifelike or is there a video out there that will help me along my way?

2. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

Perhaps trying. Using apoxy sculpt and use apoxy sculpt safety solvent. To smooth out the work. It was designed for this. Note a little safety solvent goes along way . Try applying it with a nice angled artist brush.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Matt here gives eye finishing lessons, or use to. Pay him for a day or two and you wont have to guess or roll the dice here on taxi net.

4. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

When I mount, I adjust the eyes every day and keep the lids tight to the eye. When dry, it is hard to even get any sculpt in what gap there is or isn't. Many times I don't even use any sculpt. I just lay a bead of Mod Podge along the lid to simulate eye water and bridge the hairline gap. I too would see the life leave the eyes when sculpt is smeared around the eye. If you look at a reference pic of an eye, it actually does not go up to the eye but has a trough. Making the lid glue tight to the eye is not realistic.

Photo borrowed from Gamehead photo reference section

Attached Files:

5. Tubbsy2

Tubbsy2 New Member

Mr. T,

I checked out your web page and see that you are from Fort Gratiot. I live in Peck so I'm not too far away. Do you ever give lessons yourself? If not were is Matt from? I am a school teacher so I don't have a lot of time until the summer to get away and get lessons.

Greg, Thanks for the pic and I never really noticed that the lid is not in contact with the eye. I will have to do a better job of adjusting the eye skin daily so I don't develop the gap like I have in the past.

6. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Matt is in Ohio.

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Just remember that like any rule, there are exceptions. I have seen photos of the lid being tighter to the eye than the pic I showed. The trick is making a trough that looks realistic. That is something I have yet to pull off completely so I don't worry about a gap and certainly do not try to fill one to the tippery top with sculpt.

8. Big Tine

Big Tine have a great day

Go take MATTS FINISHING COURSE will be worth every penny of it, Jim