1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Javelina?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by SomeSkull, Feb 17, 2012.

1. SomeSkull

SomeSkull New Member

Just got my first one in searched around here for info on doing it. Sounds like they can be tough to degrease? Looking for suggestions like should I start it out in straight ammonia or stick with the dawn and ammonia mix first? I just got my degreasing tank set up with the water heater element. And also it is in the macerating bucket right now! Thanks for the help!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. I do a lot of wild hogs. Never did a javelina, but I can't say they could be any worse. You'll have a bunch of grease when you macerate the skull, it works better for me than beetles. I get the teeth out and scrub the skull with soap and hot water before putting it in the degreasing tank. After a month or so I will soak it in acetone for a week or more and then back in the tank. Same as several others. Just don't expect to rush it. It is going to take awhile OR LONGER! Seems the bigger they are the better the cutters come out. I've had some I couldn't get out on the smaller hogs. I dremeled a hole on the inside of the jaw to clean the teeth and then epoxyed the piece back in. Good luck!!! All just my experience, may not be the best!!

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As above. Let the owner know it will take a long while to degrease properly. Important that you get the water to 115 to melt out the deep grease in these. Swap back and forth between Dawn/water, ammonia and acetone. A few weeks on each. Mine took months but it came out great. Just don't rush. :) Evil little animals dead or alive.

4. SomeSkull

SomeSkull New Member

Thanks for the replies. Sea wolf do you heat the ammonia and acetone to 115 degrees as well? Thanks for the help, I'm looking forward to get it out of the soup and getting the degreasing started

5. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

do not heat acetone!!!! use at room temperature.

6. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

I get Javelina's every winter from Arizona. They are not all that bad. Definately not as bad as pigs or bears. Little dinks living in the desert just don't seem that greasy.

7. SomeSkull

SomeSkull New Member

Thats why I asked about the acetone, I didn't think it would be a good idea to heat it up, thanks! And this one is from Arizona as well so hopefully it won't be to bad! Thanks again for the help!

8. These Texas hogs eat lard tamales!!!!!!! :eek: Most folks don't care too much about having one on the wall once they see a boar hog!

9. general

general Member

i clean about 30-40 a year. really not that bad....best thing is to switch between dawn and ammonia

10. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Not unless you want to die. It's explosive.

11. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

uh...wylie coyote does it all the time and he keeps after that stupid bird.