1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

grooming hooded merg's hood

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by franchi612, Feb 18, 2012.

1. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

Wondering if anyone can give me some good tips for getting a mergs hood feathers groomed proper? Not standing, I have it caulked so making it stand is not the problem, but it just seems not as full as some I see mounted, and I'm having trouble getting the black feathers at the top of the crest lined up and out of the white feathers. They just seem a little ratty. Maybe it's not fully plumed? Or do I just keep working at it as it dries? It's the nicest bird I have ever done and I want it to be really good. Any tips appreciated thanks!

2. backbrush and use a blower from the front to groom...been my experience the more i touch them with my hands or tools the worse they get..skin has to be positioned correctly first and then blow away

3. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

*post removed because it hurt someone's widdle feewings*

5. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

Thanks trophybirds that did work well. I also taxied the back of the neck up, it was down way too far.

Nancy thanks for the unsolicited critique of a bird that was no where near done,not groomed, not in the final position, nor on the finished base. Whatever I'm done. I have no idea what I ever did or said to you. You even chided me or preferring to spell widgeon with a d. Don't worry You won't see me on the bird forum anymore.

6. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

kinda touchy are we??!!! Nancy did you a big favor and was not unkind in her remarks. You did ask by the way! Better go find another toy box to play in.

7. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Holy cow Nancy you scared him bad!!! I thought your advice was very constructive, hmm what do i know. I have saw some of your work, you rock!

Duxdown

8. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Well-Known Member

Hahahah, wow! When I post a pic of a mount, that's exactly the response I hope to get. Lighten up bro and take advice from those willing to give it for free....

9. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

This is the kind of nonsense that reminds me why I am becoming less and less likely to offer tips or advice.

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

Wow, I must have missed it. I am not an expert on birds by any means, but if Nancy or any of the other rediculiously talented bird artists' offer some constuctive comments, you can be sure I will listen. Nancy, I hope you continue to offer advice, it is very appreciated on this end.

11. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Me too. I also appreciate it...DC

12. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

Nancy,

There are far more folks that greatly appreciate your wisdom and suggestions than those that "dont".

i believe i can speak for them, that we surely hope you reconsider your thoughts in the above quote.

John

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

X2!

14. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

Yeah, thank you Nancy, wow, unbelieveable

15. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Big cry baby.