1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

fleshing machine bit me

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Preserving Memories, Feb 20, 2012.

1. please tell me I’m not the only idiot around that was busy and not paying attention to the task at hand and I ran my knuckle acrossed the fleshing machine and let me tell you that sh** hurts. Just figured I would vent a little bit because it just aggravates me when I do stupid things such as this when I need to just pay attention instead of thinking about ten other things while thinning deer.....

2. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Your not the only one believe me, haha.

3. RJ Simington

RJ Simington Active Member

The fix is CHEAP.

$ 11.00 Filleting glove.

I have so many scares on my hands from the flesher, that now My crew NEVER even turns the machines on without the gloves on.

One of the last times I fleshed without it , I split my finger lengthwise along the bone over an inch deep.

VERY painfull but my own fault.

$ 11.00 is a Cheap alternative to a week of not sleeping or working due to prevenable injuries.

I tried to get Research to carry them but I guess they dont think they will sell that many.

The gloves I am talking about are Grey & the whole glove has woven steel through the whole glove. NOT the ones that just have kevlar in the palm, remember you can cut the back ov your hand too.

RJ Simington

4. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

X2 on those gloves,,,i dont even turn it on unless im wearing them

5. X 3 on kevlar gloves

6. Glad I don't tan my own hides anymore. I sliced myself a number of times before though, never very bad, but it does sting!!!!! Now when I want to shave one down a little I wear some ansell cut resistant gloves

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Before I got a good pair of gloves I used to double band aid my finger tips.

8. oldfool

oldfool New Member

MS
    you can put latex gloves over your kevlar gloves to keep from getting so wet

9. Latex or nitrile will not fit over my gloves. Also even a pair of .99 brown jersey gloves will help.

Yea that crap hurts!!!

10. RJ Simington

RJ Simington Active Member

We put the latex gloves on under the Fillet gloves.

That also keeps the gloves from wearing on your wrist if it has dried salt in it.

Walmart sells the gloves back with the Fillet knives in Fishing dept.

Harbor freight sells them for $9.

Sportsmans warehouse $ 12.

11. Dangitboy

Dangitboy Member

Been there, done that. It's a pain to get it to stop bleeding too. I don't turn my machine on without them.

12. Re: Re: fleshing machine bit me

Thanks for the tip on the gloves on my way to Walmart now to get some I have ten deer set out for tomorrow morning and I am gonna have some gloves before I turn the machine on. Glad to see I wasn't the only one.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Not that I haven't been there and done that, but it's still a matter of technique. I have two pairs of Kevlar gloves that I've had for years and one of them is still sparkling clean.

I don't get the "feel" of the thickness with gloves. The secret is to grasp the hide with your fingers underneath and pressing it up against the heel of your hand. KEEP YOUR THUMBS POINTED PARALLEL TO THE WHEEL and away from you. That way the heels of your hand will hit the guards and keep your knuckles from bouncing off the blade.

14. duxdown

duxdown New Member

George, thats the way I shave to. I just have big ham hands and cant feel what im doing with gloves on. I do wear surgical gloves just to keep some of the pickle and salt from drying my hands, but it dont help much if you get distracted haha.

15. waterdude

waterdude You gotta KILL IT... before you can GRILL IT!

I use and sell the kevlar gloves...aint been nicked since I started using them...Get at me...In stock!