1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question About the US Federal Migratory Bird Law

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by MichaelG, Feb 21, 2012.

1. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

Greetings! Just curious to know if any attempts have been made in the past by Taxidermy Associations to amened the law that prevents Taxidermists from selling migratory birds not picked up by clients? It seems to me the only person affected by this law is the "licenced" taxidermist who is already keeping detailed records and losing potential income. I would much rather pay the extra federal taxes on unclaimed mounts sold to a second party then claim them as losses come income tax time.

Your thoughts?

2. Cynicism kicking in: Good luck with that. 2 words that hit hard are Federal, and Law.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Years back, the NTA spent nearly a million dollars on fighting the Feds about hawks and owls. Now do you see how successful THAT was?

As far as claiming "losses", legally you can only claim the cost if supplies. Not labor. Do if you're losing that much om waterfowl, do what many if us do and require 100% deposit on waterfowl.

4. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

Thanks for the responses. I'm in the developement stages of a taxidermy buisness so I havn't experienced the frustrations that most of you comment here. No doubt to me that the only ones hurt by the rules is the liscenced, law abiding taxidermist while many are wreaking benifits off of ebay, etc.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

5. Paul C

Paul C New Member

In 30 years of full time taxidermy service I have never, NOT ONCE, been stuck with a migratory bird. Run your business like a business and cover the loopholes and shortcuts and you won't have a problem.

6. schenk

schenk Member

I've only been in it 2 full years, and I've had 0 problems with that. Might be lucky, but if they are iffy clients, they pay all up front or atleast 100 bucks. Some other guys that i've dealts with time after time, the money is good and they tell me to call whenever I need some money or need all of it. Most I get about 1/2 down and then the rest when they pick the bird up.
    I don't touch a bird without a deposit, unless it's a few on a list that live not far from me that have pockets full of money. I might come in from hunting and have 2 or 6 ducks left on top of my freezer with all the paper work filled out and ready to go, minus the cash. But they will call and check that I got them and everything.

7. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

Thanks all. Sounds like I'm just jumping the gun.