1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Mount Restoration

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by weshod, Feb 21, 2012.

1. weshod

weshod New Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have a mount of a 2lb. 4oz. crappie that my dad caught in 1982 (the year I was born) and it is starting to show some age. Dad passed away in September of last year and I would like to have it restored to hang in my office. Just looking for some tips, personal experience, etc. I would like to take it off of the plaque it is on and have it put on a piece of driftwood and just have a general restoration done. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. I did a tuitorial on a northern pike repair that I did and it may help a little bit.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,294618.0.html

You should check if it was done on a carved mannikin or a half cast if you plan on stripping the paint. Some strong paint strippers can eat away those type of mannikins. You may have to use lacquer thinner and to strip it.
    Looks 2 me like stripping the paint, a little epoxy work, mby replace the eyes (can't see them very good in this pic), possibly some fin repairs or replacing fins (ur call once again cant see these 2 well) and repainting could go a long way.
    Are you planning on doing the restoration yourself?
    Whatever you decide to do, I hope you can preserve it for a great family keep sake. Sorry to hear about your dad.
    Good Luck

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

On many restorations anymore I'm not stripping the paint if it's not peeling and no scales are lifted. If there are scales lifted I glue them down with superglue and an iron turned on low. Anyway I white out the fish completely except for the fins and then seal it with lacquer sealer. Next I antique it with dark brown as you do with a repro and buff the high points off with fine steel wool to get detail. Next paint as a reproduction. Sure beats the mess and damage caused by paint stripper.

Or course this is not always possible but when possible this is the route I go.

4. Slick

Slick Something smells fishy?

I don't see any gloss on it.So it might not be to hard to get the paint off with stripper or thinner.After you wash off the stripper or thinner recard the fins and let dry. Then do any repairs and repaint. Just don't get it to wet because the skin will come off of the form.

5. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

I would have to agree here with Rick........that paint will come right off I believe with just a lacquer wipe. Then you should have some markings to follow/re-paint. Easy. In addition to whats been said, I would also re-hydrate and re-card the gill cover