1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is this wolf real?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by boarzhead, Feb 22, 2012.

1. vipermann7

vipermann7 New Member

The weight might be exaggerated, but I think the pic is likely real. We used to own a male St. Bernard, and if I would hold him up just like in that picture, he looked just that huge compared to me. I'm only 5'9", but my brother is six foot, and the dog still looked just as big compared to him. Our St. Bernard only weighed about 110 pounds, but when you stretch an animal out up and down that is normally only seen horizontally, that adds to its impressive looking size. The position also has a huge impact. People take pictures holding cats and canines like that partly because it's a pose that really makes the animal look huge, same way taking a picture from a low camera angle with the hunter behind the rack makes a buck so much bigger than standing over it looking down. My vote is real pic, maybe exaggerated weight, though a 200 pounder turning up wouldn't surprise me.

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Think of the damage this would do.
    [​IMG]

3. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

Holy crap. I should ask if this pic is real or not.... There goes a herd or two

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

They all have shadows going thr correct direction.

5. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    It is highly unlikely that wolf was from here in New Mexico. We do have them down in the Gila wilderness and around that area but you would go to jail for a longer period of time for killing a wolf than a person.

6. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

Yeah go figure..

7. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Imagine a greyhound shaped animal under all that hair! That will give you a lot better idea of what a wolf is built like. And WHY they don't weigh nearly as much as you think they do. The first time you skin one, you will be amazed how small that critter UNDER all that hair is......compared to how big you think it should be.

8. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

Wolf being small you say, under it's hair. Tell that to all the Elkand Moose they wiped out in the northern rockies. California isnow saying in the northern Siskyou County could sustain at least around 460 wolves. Ranchers here will shoot everyone of them, even if the Fish & Game here say it is a $100,000 fine and year in jail. Livestock here is the economy and no wolf is gonna ruin someone's business