1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Farm Debate in TN

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by TNdeer, Feb 22, 2012.

1. TNdeer

TNdeer Member

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120222/NEWS11/302220130/Deer-farm-idea-lands-hunters-bull-s-eye?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE%7Cs

What do you guys who own deer think about this ?

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

The disease risk is already there. People already bring dead deer intact into the state. Deer can already get disease, etc, transmitted from cattle.

People can take marginal farmland and make it somewhat profitable again. Deer on farms are treated every bit as humanely or more so than deer in the wild. The rules and regs are federal and would be over and above the strict state laws set for them.

You seldom can control outbreaks and problems in wild deer, but at least with captive deer under regs, youll have controls, and those deer as a barometer to assist in what the wild deer have.

Hunters are notoriously uninformed, and special interest groups never let the truth get in the way of their agenda. Id be surprised if he gets it passed...but he should.

3. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Bill said it better than anybody could, He is too humble to admit it himself, but he is to the deer farming community what he is to the taxidermy industry, Between the two, I still haven't figured out which he knows and UNDERSTANDS more.

4. TNdeer

TNdeer Member

That's along the lines of my thinking. Elk and exotics are already legaly farmed here. I fail to see the difference in the risk of cwd with Whitetails vs Elk or Fallow Deer.

I could really care less if it passes or fails, But I would like to know the facts behind the argument from both sides of the issue.

5. Bill Yox

You wont have to worry about the cwd risk with fallows. Elk are the biggest culprit as so many came from the original cwd zones out west. Its a shame the commissions are so quick to judge, when, to a man, they still dont know what spreads cwd. Ignorance is a factor though... 8)

Uncle Harley, those are sure generous words, not so sure I live up to them all but thanks!!

6. TNdeer

TNdeer Member

So... Couple more questions. Do all states that allow Deer farming have CWD in the wild deer herds ? And do these states also allow baiting of wild deer ?

7. There are hundreds of ranches here in FL and I Have yet to hear of a case of CWD. Yes you can bait deer here on private land year round.

8. Bill Yox

IN NY we have had captive deer all along. About 10 years ago they claimed to have found 3 positives for cwd...the guys farm they found it on rehabbed wild deer for the state too, very messy scenario. He also raises piebalds, which we know carries the bent prion some feel is the marker for cwd. Anyone else smell a rat? Yeah, we did too. My advice would be to go to deerfarmer.com and look up cwd and plan on reading for a few hours.

9. with decreasing budgets in every state, its easier to outlaw it than it is to tie up personel to see after it... that seems to be the logic here.bs no matter how you slice it...didnt they just shut down some different exotics in texas over similar issues?