1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rust spots??

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Flacer22, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Flacer22

Flacer22 New Member

Well I don't think they are rust but they look like rust. I can't figure it out there seems to be no reason for them and no way to remove it. I have about 5 different places I degrees and I've got so far 3 different skulls wilt these spots on them. One per skull about size of dime. Other skulls in same tanks no marks and all tanks have lids and are kept clean. Use same stuff in all tanks and skulls have never been in contact with eachother. I've trued deggreseing them to no change and same with whitening. Used 40 vol all sorts of stuff. One wolverine one cow and one coyote have these spots. Anyone have any advice on this looked though archives and found nothing?

They are all my own skulls too

Dale Loescher likes this.
  2. navajo

navajo New Member

Utah
    a picture would be helpfull. could it be blood stains? were these antlered animals that you may have used steel wool to re-color the antlers? lots of possiblities. more info

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Search on here for Iron Out. Is there anything metal, especially steel, in with your skulls?

4. Flacer22

Flacer22 New Member

No antler skulls just 3 I mentioned. I have pictures but can't getthem small enough to post on here. Its not blood stains it looks like rust. All 3 skulls that have this were never together and were not in same tanks. One was in a old freezer I have set up and there is rust in it. Its on bottom though and mark is on top of skull and none of my other skulls in there ever had that. Other 2 were in stainless steel pots and nothing but skulls soap and aommina is in there always lids on them.

I will look into iron out thanks for tip

5. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

There on buffs arent they?

6. Sea Wolf

I would also recoat the inside of the rusted container or get rid of it. The iron oxide can be drawn up into the water and attracted to parts of your skulls. They don't have to be touching the surface to pick up rust. It will be in the water itself.

7. Here is a pic of my results using Iron-Out. It is a nature-cleaned raccoon that had a lot of iron staining. I am not really sure what ratio I used of IO to water, but I kind of winged it, and got good results. I'd be hesitant to leave the skull in too long, as a couple of the long bones I unstained got a *little* chalky-feeling because, presumably, I dipped them too long.

It will unhinge anything glued with a heat gun :) That's how I had the jawbones glued together, but I had to reset them anyway because I overdid it with the glue.

pic: [​IMG]

8. More results with cat bones. Thinking of re-doing the ones that are still orangish.

[​IMG]

9. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

How long of a soak in the Iron Out?

10. grf68

grf68 Member

MA
    I use iron out all the time due to my water having a ton of iron in it, I've let skulls and bones soak for as little as a few minutes to over a week. just depends on how discolored they are. It seems the iron out does most of its job in the first few minutes though. you can actually watch the skulls turning whiter its pretty cool. nasty stuff to breath though keep your head out of it

11. I wouldn't be cleaning them in anything metal, that could be your problem, try plastic buckets or tubs.

12. Sea Wolf

I also winged it with Iron Out. Soaked for a few hours only. I would not trust the stuff with long periods of time. I have a post on here with a pot bellied pig that was allowed to lay out in an anthill down south. Wasn't happy when I got it. I was expecting a raw head. Had to make the best of what I had as I didn't want to send it back.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,169079.0.html