1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need a hand here...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Mays, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Mays

Mays New Member

Wanted some of you to take a look and listen and see what you had to say. I sent a few capes to a guy for wet tanning...I finally got them back and mounted the first one up without any problems whatsoever. Now I've started on the second one. Besides the ears being torn all to crap, when it thawed, I could tell something wasn't right. I put liners in the ears since they were torn up to bad to recieve bondo and starting noticing a little bit of slippage. Once prepped and ready for mounting...The troubles really began. The hide was slipping anytime, anywhere you touched it, other than the ears, eyes, and nose. The hair is standing straight out in places and will not lay down. I can't get the hide "pushed" into place on the mannikin properly due to the condition of the hide. I've never had a problem like this...What's gonna happen?...What can I do to help?...Or is better off trashed and finding a replacement cape? Thanks...Heres a pic of what it looks like at this point...

Attached Files:

2. Sorry, but that is trashed. Slip is slip.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    As stated, start over.

4. Mays

Mays New Member

Why is the hair standing up like that? Is that a characteristic of slip? I've just never had this problem...Horrible! It's a shame that you pay for fleshing and tanning and get this back.

5. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

I'd be making a call to them pronto! They obviously messed something up.

6. Mason

Mason Active Member

Keyda81,

Shouldn't be so quick to imply the tanner "THEY" had anything to do with the problem, or that "THEY messed up. Unless of course, you know the history of the cape. It may have been iffy to begin with. It may have been mishandled in the field, that Mays had no idea of prior to sending it off.
    It may very well been "THEY" that messed it up, but not always.
    Oh, and I am not a tanner or affiliated in any way ;D Just see too many guys in the tanning biz getting trashed for others mistakes.
    Hope Ya get a good cape and it all works out for Ya Mays.

7. You beat me to it Ron... :)

8. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

X3

9. Mays

Mays New Member

The deer was killed by my little cousin. I immediately caped it, brought it to the shop, skinned it, froze it, then sent it off frozen green...

10. Mason

Mason Active Member

Not sure how Ya do it Mays,

But a good tip (wich you may already know)
    When we skin a fresh deer out. We take the cape and lay it out flat in the freezer, unbagged . Till it starts to stiffen up before we roll them up and bag them. Takes quite a while for them to freeze through rolled up warm, or room temp.
    Do you use stop rot?
    We also place an ice pack inside the face of all our capes before we roll them up, when we know they are going out green. May be over kill, but works well.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It is standing up because it is not attached to the skin any more.

12. Who done the work for you?

13. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

X4

14. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

It is acid burn....If it still wet take some clay wet it a little and start going over the hair that is standing up ,and let dry...This has help me before...Good luck.

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I agree with Doug. Assuming you can get it mounted without losing too much hair, mix up some wet clay slurry and smear it on and let it dry several weeks before brushing the clay out. This works pretty good and I've saved a cape or two that was on the edge of ruin like yours.

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You guys think that will work on this one? It looks to me that the hair follicles have already come out of the skin. It looks like more than just loose. I would throw in the towel on this one. I am fortunate, I haven't had anything this bad to date. 3bears

17. Matt

Matt New Member

The clay paste will help to lay it down if you can get the skin taxied around properly. I agree with what most have said about the possibilty of the cape being handled improperly. One thing that is a no no is to roll a fresh cape up and toss it in the freezer. You are trapping alot of heat that can cause problems when the cape is thawed out. Ron hit it on the head, cool a fresh cape down first before rolling it up and freezing it.

18. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If they are fresh, they get fleshed and salted asap. It may be a late night but that is life. 3bears

19. Matt

Matt New Member

I am with you on that one 3bears. No wts go in the freezer here, they all get caped, turned, and salted reguardless of time. Unless, it's an emergency, I am busy!(LOL)

20. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

The clay trick has it's advantages, but this cape is past that stage in my opinion. If there were only a small standing patch, I'd cut it out. If the hair in that area comes out super easily, then it will come out with the dried clay when you brush it out, I vote for a new cape.