1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hunters out there?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by garywenz1, Feb 26, 2012.

1. garywenz1

garywenz1 New Member

Don't know what section to put this info in .I just wanted to share some of my tactics with y'all
    First how many of us hunt? Alot I bet. So does anyone have to fight with his or hers better half with the washing machine and the perfums in the clothing?
    I did but not any more. Here's what I do, we use Armor Hammer laundry soap free. Free as in the name. Its unscented and it makes the washing machine smell better, believe it or not .
    So now all the clothing in the house is scent free. I still use the hunting soap with UV protection but I do believe theres really no need to use anything else. I've had a great hunting year this year and I always try
    differant ways to improve Bounce makes a dryer sheet unscented also.
    Happy hunting ,
    Gary

2. Toeknee22

Toeknee22 New Member

Thanks for sharing sounds like a win win to me

3. bowhunter132

bowhunter132 Member

toenee......great lookin whitetail.....

4. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

I dont wash my hunting clothes, i just air them out every so often and kill deer.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It seems I'm always the nearer of bad news.

Field & Stream completed an exhaustive scientific tests with major universities this past year. It was scientifically proven that you can't "scent proof" either yourself OR your hunting clothing. Deer have olfactory sensors 500 times more sensitive than bloodhounds. The tests used bloodhounds and the maximum time it took the dogs to key on a hunter was 20 seconds. That included all the special washes and all the scent-free and carbon clothing on the market.

Their conclusion was that successful hunters either limit their scent cones and environment OR they're just recipients of dumb luck or stupid deer.

6. Toeknee22

Toeknee22 New Member

I agree with you George you can't fool a deers nose but it can't hurt to try and minimize your scent to get the scent cone as small as possible!

7. garywenz1

garywenz1 New Member

that's kinda what I was try'n to say George, really no need to do anything else
    I still try to fool em and stay where the wind is in my favor. I do agree theres no fool'n a deer nose 100%, but if can fool'em 40% that's an advantage better than I had lol
    The UV stuff I use says removes bloodstain also and it works very good No need to brake out my supersonic peroxide. Just say'n no need to fight the wife and her perfumy detergent either

8. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

I love stupid deer !!! They pack into my freezer better than the smart ones.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It is pretty easy to fool a 1.5 year old deer, anyone can shoot them, even kids and grandpa's.

10. linder

linder New Member

I remember when you would work all week go home grab you rifle head to the woods and shot a deer, now it's like a voodoo ceremony getting ready to go hunting . LOL

11. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

40 some years of huntin without that fancy smancy crap and I aint about to start now....

But, if you must..
    There is nothing like a good wood smoke fire to coat your gear... Makes a good cover scent

12. huntingfool

huntingfool Member

I think anything you can do to help get your scent down to a minimum is helpful, but at the end of the day, nothing works like using the wind to your advantage.

13. bigrubs07

bigrubs07 October 26,2007 148 gross P/Y points, 230lbs FD

Just watch the wind-period-alot is determined by wind thermals to but keep the wind in your face and put time and effort in the hunt and enjoy it, sooner or later you will put meat in the freezer. Main thing is the wind keep it in your face

14. George

I'm not refuting keeping your scent down or playing the wind, but two of my biggest deer, a 170 class 10 and a 150 class 8, came directly upwind to me. One was during the rut, one well after. Even with the wind at your back, many times, the thermal effect reduces or eliminates the impact. Still, that's back here on the east coast where the smell of humans is constant to deer. I've had my share of elk and mule deer haul ass seconds after a zephyr of air came from behind me.

15. Agreed, works well... specialy on the hunts in backcountry with now showering for a few days.

16. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I'm a firm believer in the UV killers.
    For Rifle season, I used an all blaze orange suit, head to toe. I have seen deer stop and snap their head up, look directly at me and scamper off.. They would bust me from long distances, and it was obvious to me, that they were seeing me. The very first time I used the UV. killer things changed. Deer no longer knew I was there. They would walk right up too me. I also noticed I was able to get away with a little more movement. Call BS if you like, but I have seen the before and after and have been much more successful since I tried it. I will continue to use it as long as it is on the market.

17. garywenz1

garywenz1 New Member

I thought the UV stuff was to protect my clothing from fading in the sun.So you think the deer sees it different too?

18. EA

EA Well-Known Member

They claim the deer can see the fabric brighteners in laundry detergents. Like I said, From what I have observed, I believe it.

19. bigrubs07

bigrubs07 October 26,2007 148 gross P/Y points, 230lbs FD

I do believe people watch to much tv and believe what the salesmen hunters are trying to sell. Just my opinion!! But most of the stuff they sell is to take some of the green stuff you work so hard for away!!

20. George

Mike, you didn't buy into that did you? Ultraviolent light saturates the earth during daylight hours. EVERYTHING is covered with UV light. A deer can't see anymore UV during daylight hours than you and I can. HOWEVER, after darkness, the residual UV contamination IS visible to the color spectrum of animals that navigate by starlight. Now washing your clothes in UV Killer may work well if you're hunting after dark, but most of us don't.