1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

elk antler question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Artie mags, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

i had a call from a guy who scored on an elk and left it with a local guy to mount.He lives here in NJ.he had the elk shipped to him but didnt realize the antlers would not fit down his basement stairs is there anyway to remove an antlerso it would fit?

2. bowhunter132

bowhunter132 Member

yes there is..he could have a taxidermist remove one or both antlers and install pins to make them removable, that would solve his problem...hope this helps...

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If you are talking about a shoulder mount. I would think you could rehydrate the area and open the seam up and remove skull plate and than pin them, reinstall skull plate and sew the seam back up. I have never had to do this on an elk but have opened up a number of deer to repair broken skull plates. Hope this helps. 3bears

4. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

If he really wants to score it have him do it before you do this but I'd tape all the hair down and cut with a hack saw as close to the top of the pedicle as you can even if you end up cutting some of the burr "knobs" off cuz you can rebuild them with epoxy to cover the transition later as well as the hair around the burr. Then just do a removable antler male and female end and you should be good. I'd think you could get away with doing just one side but may have to try and figure out which side would be best. If this doesn't look like it will work just cutting it off you could soak the skin around the pedicle on the one side and and pull it down then cut off and reglue the skin up and do your removable parts to finish it. Elk have a long enoug pedicle compaired to a deer I don't think you would need to rehydrate the entire thing and remove skull and sew back up.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    T3, you may be right about not needing to open it all up. My concern was cutting hair and skin around the pedicle. As well as getting epoxy on the hair as well. The way you suggested may work if he is careful. 3bears

6. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

haha yeah always gotta be careful. Just figure it would be the simplest solution for a commercial piece.

7. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

Thanks since i'm not familiar with Elk I think i'll send him to someone who is

8. Don't let a thing like it being an elk keep you from doing the job it is just a matter of cutting it off and pinning it and T3 is right on the money on how to do it. Mkae sure you charge accordingly for your time and materials. One antler pinnied is usally enough to get it through a door and down some steps, but if your doing one do the other at thwe same time and get twice the pay.