1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mammals of the Month - March 2012

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by code6202, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Thanks!!! :)

Mr. John, I wish I had another Amur, they are near impossible to find. I didn't get any pictures from you, but if you sent them, then thanks, lol.

This one died at an AZA zoo and they know what they have ;), they still have the male and he looks the same. Although, I agree that many private owners hardly know what they have and don't care as long as it has spots.

And from the different leopards I have worked on I can assure you this leopard is not an Amur. It's fur is not as long and it lacks the triangular rosettes on the back. It also has "guard hairs". Seriously, it has black guard hairs that are noticeably longer than the other hairs. I have never seen this before on any big cat! It is really neat.

But, I agree, who cares what it is exactly and I doubt as well that it is a pure Persian, but it sure is a Beautiful cat and I'm glad I could save it.

I'll post more pictures someday when its all finished :)

2. michael69

michael69 Active Member

Gorgeous cat wayne...nice job

3. michael69

michael69 Active Member

That looks sweet

4. Just finished

Attached Files:

• s1.jpg
      s1.jpg
      File size:
      66 KB
      Views:
    • s2.jpg
      s2.jpg
      File size:
      65.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Mink

Mink New Member

Gray fox finished this afternoon (still working on the habitat) This will be a competition peice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. madtrapper22

madtrapper22 New Member

nice mounts i like the gray real relaxed (cute look).

7. Very nice Leslie !!!!

8. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

You could show it to the guy that was looking for some wholesale work. If I didn't enjoy doing it I would have you do all my work. Beautiful Leslie

9. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Here is a Wolverine I recently did and took to the AK show at the end of Feb.

Hoytman

Attached Files:

10. snowhare

snowhare New Member

Yeh what must we say about your cats , nothing to say realy but wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

11. Fawn

Fawn New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

http://photographybyleones.zenfolio.com/p829529948/e2b8c86d6

Here is one I did for the Michigan show.

13. hunt hard

hunt hard New Member

Ohio
    Daniel the leopard looks great. I know how hard you worked on this project and what you had to work with. Great Save!!!!!

14. Wolfie101

Wolfie101 New Member

Sweet mount. Love all the contrasting colors, that's a beautiful fox. Congratulations, keep up the good work

15. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

Thank you. I loved that fox. I tried to buy it from the customer, but he loved it too. I really need to start taking my own stuff to shows.

16. Martin

Martin roes, my obsession, my fate

roe deer

[​IMG]

17. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

Beatiful mount Martin. Love the composition.

18. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Great Job on that Leopard Daniel,,, you are truly talented.
    I doubt it too if its a pure Persian Leopard,, My Bother in Law (lives in Iran) is THE guy who has dedicated his life to study, conserve and research about Persian Cheetahs and Leopards all his life,, and has taken alot f photos from them, he also got trained couple of years ago in Africa about How to snare them and put the Satelite Collar on them,,Here is a shot he took last year from a Persian Leopard,, this might help to see how close your Leopard is to being Pure Persian Leopard....
    One thing I noticed is that your Leopard is abit dark for being persian Leopard,, but again,, the ones I have seen that come from Montain areas are paler than the ones come from lets say Northern mountains that are covered with forest..... ???
    One thing I know about Persian Leopards is that they are quite a bit bigger than African Leopard in general.

[​IMG]

19. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Falco, you are spot-on (pardon the pun! LOL) in regard to the difference in coat color of the two.

Persian Leopards ...
    [​IMG]

Amur Leopard ...
    [​IMG]

20. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Thank you Mr. Falco :)

And I got to say that is so cool what your brother in law does! Thanks for the picture as well. I have looked at many pictures and I'm still not sure
    how much Persian is in her.

I find it interesting that they are bigger than African leopards, because even though this one was a young female she is the size of an average male African.

A couple other things I want to add, is that I took the picture in the sun which doesn't really show her true colors. The first picture is of a captive Persian that I used as reference for the pose.

And the second shows black guard hairs on the neck of another Persian leopard. I found it strange, but this is the only leopard I have ever seen that has these black guard hairs all over the body. They are clearly much longer than the surrounding fur and they are evenly spaced everywere, in the yellow areas as well as the black spots.

Granted I haven't mounted very many leopards, but I have worked on a couple different kinds and this is totally new for me.

I guess it all boils down to it being a captive leopard so far removed from the wild counterparts and the inbreeding that can't really be prevented without introducing new blood lines.

I hope it's a Persian Leopard ;D

Attached Files: