1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mammals of the Month - March 2012

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by code6202, Mar 1, 2012.

1. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    No problemo!

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

the spine and hip areas are sculpted perfectly

3. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Spot on John,,or should i stripes on,,,,
    Sumatrans are small,, in to Siberian and Bengal, problem is a lot of cross breeding has happened in the past,,i just returned from China,, and white tigers are even kept at some 5 star hotels for viewing..
    Wont be long before we see that gene in the Indo China subspecies through cross breeding
    This Sumatran looks huge because of the camera angle,,like bear hunters , sit back behind the trophy to make them look bigger.

For interests sake I have only ever seen one pelt of the Bali Tiger, it was no bigger than a wolf full grown, shot on the island of Bali by an Australian government surveyor in the 1920 it is the only specimen i have seen.
    They are now extinct along with the Javan.

I get a little sad when i hear guys say,,use a lion form when it comes to tigers,,there is such a big difference in the anatomy of these species which is obvious when you get the chance to work on them both.

Tigers are proportionally as thick and strong in the forearms,,but the rear end tapers away like a cigar

I had a lot of fun doing this one in such a short time, no measurements , only a couple of leg casts the skeleton,, and Jons Big Cat book,,, lost all the facial measurements over the years , i will find them somewhere,,but sculpturing over the real skull only took one evening to complete.
    Using the skeletons, lifesizes are not that difficult

4. LordRusty

Ohio
    Oh, you are correct ... Tigers and Lions are so very different. As are Leopards and Cougars. I wrote articles for Breakthrough Magazine on these facts back in the day, and I included those observations in my book as well. I'm glad to hear the book was helpful in this endeavor, and I agree ... having the skull to sculpt over is a HUGE help! Not to mention the rest of the skeleton. ;)

That is why to sculpt a little female African Wildcat for a tanned skin I bought from a member here, I carved the leg bones and Pelvis from Basswood. I luckily have a correct size skull for this little gal, so that is a big help! ;) No other bones, so I have to be careful as I go ... plus ... I'm in no hurry.

At any rate ... job well done![​IMG][​IMG]

5. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

This one you will like John
    Nero, the dreadlock "Jamaican" Lion
    Again when we were pulling him together,,what was with all the folds at the joints at the paws and forearms,,,,,,read the book
    For anyone doing big cats, heres the drill, get the book from John, it explains all the puzzles

Attached Files:

6. thylacinelover

thylacinelover New Member

USA
    Oh wow. I really like the ram,bobcats/lyxns, leopard, pearl fox, wolverine, coyote, the caribou,beaver,lion,and tiger,but the others were nice as well. The piebald deer has really interesting markings.

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

now thats a big lion....looks like he has dread locks

8. AWESOME!!!!!

9. AWESOME QUALITY!!!!!

10. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Love the lion! Great work all!

11. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Great job on the lion! Would love the chance to do one some day.

12. LordRusty

Ohio
    "Dat Li-On ... he es fram Jamaica mon!" [​IMG](Closest I could find! LOL!)

Will those be combed out? 'Cause they are nasty! ;D

I can tell where 'the face' came from. I know it sounds odd, but I can usually tell when someone has used my book for a Lion mount ... they have 'the face' I wrote about and illustrated. My only comment is that his package seems a little over filled ... almost drooping ... perhaps the hide could have been worked forward a bit?

Other than that, the head, mouth, feet ... Well done![​IMG]