1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beetle Behavior ??

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Matt_S, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Matt_S

Matt_S New Member

Was just checking on the clan and noticed something I see a lot and have always been curious about. Why do they clump up in random places. There will be like a hundred of them in a ball in the bedding. Its no where near any food or where they could have carried something. Seems like one of them yelled "PARTY" and they all came running.

Thanks

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Active Member

Beetle Superbowl? Or maybe a bunch of loose females?

I have seen my small collection of beetles do the same thing. I never looked closely to see what they were doing though.

3. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

Probably it's because of difference of humidity and or heat in different places in your beetle enclosure.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

They are just like my employees....I've got lots of work for them to do, but they are huddled in the corner talking about females, LOL!

5. How about when they eat one another?? I have caught them in the act many times devouring of of the bigger larvae. Not sure if it just died and they saw it as a meal but they will fight over the carcass.

6. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

Masterdunbar. cannibalism is common behavior of omnivorous and carnivorous beetles. They eat each other when they are forced to live in limited space.
    It is nothing else than fighting for food and living space. It won't influence your colony strength. I assume you.