1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Scale tipping?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by K.N Fish Taxidermy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. K.N Fish Taxidermy

K.N Fish Taxidermy Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

I am having trouble getting the right look. I have tried using pearl ex powders, opal shimmers, and liquid scales. It comes out to opaque and bright/bold. How could I make it more subtle but then have it still bright if you know what I mean. I am painting a black crappie repro and have panted all the markings and tones in. Now I am trying to get the purple and blue look I am after. How do you guys do it? I am trying to thin them out but it still doesn't look right. Also this is a 10" crappie so the scales are real small.

Thanks if you can help me out.

Ken

2. BMW

BMW New Member

Hi KN
    I know you said you tried thinning out your material. That is what I would suggest...liquid scales thinned with water and retarder. I like to use them in 2 different way though. My first application is early in the paint process. The idea is to build a reflective base. I usually paint most of the majority of the scale (other than the scale pocket.) Then I paint body colors over the top of the initial application. Then I would come back with thinner applications in more of a true scale tipping manner. I know this is not very specific but I hope it gives you some food for thought.
    Hope this helps.
    Brett

3. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Well thanks for the help Brett. I started to apply the powder dry and I am liking the look of it. Nice and soft but still there when you roll the fish. I am kind of far along in the painting process but this is looking good now.

Thanks, Ken
    Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

I agree with BMW, build you tipping, the whole process as far as thats concerned, up in stages

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Heres a 32 inch Brown Trout that i just started coloring today. I tipped it with a silver metallic tipping pen. Took about an hour.

Attached Files:

6. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Hey Bill that Brown is looking good! I have figured it out and thanks for the tips guys. I tried them dry literally right after I posted the question and really like the results I am getting.

Ken

7. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Dry can be hard to control sometimes but when done well its hard to beat

8. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

I get my best results also with a dry application of powders. Hit the scales, blow off the excess and mist it to seal it. I will hit those same scales with a different color, and sometimes half as much, to create a layering multi shimmer effect. The key to me is to LIGHTLY mist from a distance to lock them in. Otherwise you lose intensity.