1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird Replacement. Mounting someone else's bird!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by young taxidermist, Mar 2, 2012.

1. young taxidermist

young taxidermist New Member

I dont see where this has been discussd on here but my question is how do you feel about mounting someone else's bird as a replacement bird.As I get older I think back about some of the ducks I just breasted out and think of how now I would of liked to get them mounted. Especially on some of the ducks I dont see too often and I need to complete my duck collection. Ill post up a few senarios and lets see what yall think.

A) Your hunting out of the country and kill say a cinnamon teal and while transporting back it gets held up and spoils.
    B) Your hunting as a kid and kill a full plume Northern Shoveler (which btw is pretty rare to see colored out in my area) but you clean it because you didnt have the money to mount years ago.
    C) Your hunting and suddenly a single duck swings the decoys, you and your bud instinctivle shoot. Turns out you both shoot the same canvasback and both want to have it mounted.
    D) A hurricane hits your town and you lose all of your duck mounts, some with memories that could never be replaced.

I think I could convince myself it's ok to use a replacement bird if it's pen raised. But I can't get over the fact that someone else went out, worked, shot, and recovered a bird that im mounting, but i actually have no part of. Im actually mounting a gifted cinnamon because I know ill never see one in my lifetime(plus theyr beautiful!) but the rest is still uneasy with me. What's your outlook on this?

2. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

My take is this. If you had the mounts or for some reason you didn't get them done. but now want them, then why not. You will still be remembering a hunt or special time you once had. Its like the reproduction fish I do for customers who do catch and release, or a badly aged mount of grandpas last trip with someone. Its not always the actual mount, Its the memory of it. So I say go for it.

3. little fred

little fred R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

x's 2 well said

4. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

As far as replacing a memento, I see nothing wrong with it. Here is where your problem lies. It is illegal to buy a hunted bird. If you can get someone to gift you a bird, I say go for it. Taxidermy is all about preserving memories.

5. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

If I want a bird that we rarely see I have no problem getting one gifted and mounting it for my collection. My family and friends enjoy seeing the different variations of ducks. Also I view the duck as a piece of art that I created, the mount that is. I however wouldn't pay to have it done. I may not have shot the bird myself but I did do the taxidermy and I can take pride in that.

6. I like anwer drakeman ill be sure to tell the wife that one wen she ass why I have so many birds I didnt kill