1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Getting ready for tannery, ?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Fur Real, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Fur Real

Fur Real New Member

My neighbor raises buffalo and he is having two butchered today. He told me I could have the head and hide off of one of them, which I have to pick up today. What do I need to do to get it ready to send to a tannery? Flesh and Salt dry? Also, any recommendations for a tannery? I have never sent anything out, but I have also never had anything this big. I want to keep the whole hide and want it tanned also.
    Here is another question. I just recently tanned a fox. It was a good hide. The hair slipped on the back of the ears. Everything else is fine. Is there anything that I can do to fix this problem? This hasn't happened before and it is for a customer. Thanks for all of your help. This site along with the people are great.

2. fleshing and salting dry is all you have to do to ship it to the tannery. well you also have to turn to lips and ears as with any other animal. i use the Wildlife gallery with great success. i will warn you that it is a very big undertaking and the tanning cost will not be cheap so be prepared. as for the fox, you can try flocking the back of the ears or get a damaged fox and take hairs from the ears and glue them on to your fox.

3. Fur Real

Fur Real New Member

Thank you for your response. Could you tell me what flocking is?

4. its a fine powdered material you can buy from any supplier, its commonly used for waddles on pheasants, it comes in many colors.

5. RStanton

RStanton New Member

Bison have a pretty thick hide that probably won't dry properly with cutting into the skin... Check the old forum archives.

6. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Bison are just like a great big deer but,they smell terrible and there is way more time involved.They also take longer to dry after salting.Just remember to keep fresh salt on it daily.I have one at the tannery now it should be back this next week.It is my first time using them but I toured there shop and they do excellent work.They are also low priced.If you are licensed they will tan your stuff. Check out West Michigan Taxidermy inc.