1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what to use for glue?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by booginks, Mar 4, 2012.

1. booginks

booginks New Member

;D

2. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

To glue what to what?

3. booginks

booginks New Member

Huh, wonder what happened to all of my text that I typed! lol I am doing my first fish mounts here soon got the bodies carved and skinned/fleshed. Have heard of several types of glue a guy could use but what is best? ( dermagrip,dextrin hide paste, floor tile glue, liquid nails, etc.) Will dextrin hide paste mold under the skin. thanks

4. Cory

Most use cheap ole latex caulk from wal mart. Try several and you will find over time which one suits you best for gluing the skin to the mannikin.

5. booginks

booginks New Member

Thanks cory I will do.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Now Cory, why do you post crap like that? "Most use cheap ole latex caulk from wal mart. " I often wonder why people who think that the folks they come into contact with comprise "most" of anything.

If you use DP and/or denatured alcohol, SOME latex adhesives will curdle and not adhere at all. A good all around choice is a contact cement for these. For cold water species, I personally prefer the slow setting epoxy glues so that I can smooth the skin down, let it cure, and then wet it when I blend in the reproduction fins and head junctures without worrying about the real skin swelling, disbonding, or wrinkling.

But then again, I'm not "most" and I don't know what the rest are doing.

7. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

i just use vinyl wallpaper paste from home depot...doesn't react with DP or DA....glues the skin down good on foam forms...i don't even sew or staple the skins...the glue holds tight and is easy to clean off

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I use "use cheap ole latex caulk from Wal Mart".

9. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. trky

trky New Member

I have used clear acrylic latex for several years now. Never had a problem. But also use isopropyl alc. for tan, dont know about reactions to other tans like George mentioned.

11. Cory

Re: Re: what to use for glue?

Sorry George. Shouldn't of used the word most. But it sure seems to be popular on the net. :) I know what you're talking about with the curdling with different types of "cures" used. It is however why I suggested trying several different glues to find one that suits him best. I know you mentioned trout, just wish in the central U.S. here we could get a few more to do. Seems like "most" west of Kansas and east of Kansas have better trout populations. By the way George, you definitely are not like most, must be why I like you.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. Cheap ole latex for me here as well. Been using it for years and never had issues.
    I also wash my skins very well before I get to the glue stage.

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I know PVA glues like elmers will react with borax, but so far I haven't had that issue using latex. Like Josh, I wash my skins before mounting.

14. DanB

DanB New Member

On mannikins purchased from a supplier I use no glue. But if I carve a body from the blue dow foam billets I will use the cheap wallmart tube stuff that doesn't react to borax. Really no need to get fancy with glues its just helpful in moving the skin around easier and for strength on softer foam bodies.