1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey of The Month "March 2012"

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by brettdef, Mar 6, 2012.

1. brettdef

brettdef Member

Turkey season is upon us once again. The Florida season has started and all other states will follow shortly. My birds that are at my studio are in full swing. They have started breeding and have been fighting more and more each day. They can really get brutal with each other and I'm not sure how they survive some of the violent fights they have. I was at the PA show over the weekend and will be leaving for California this Thursday. I was hoping to catch turkey season while I was out there but it doesn't come in until after we are there. I have a trip to Florida scheduled for the first week of April though and that will be the first time Ill get to the woods for the year. All of you that get to hunt before then please post a picture of your success so we can all see. I hope each of you have a great season and take in lots of birds to mount. For those of you that are stuck in the shop mounting birds please post some pictures of you mounts. We have been extremely busy the last few weeks so I know that birds are being mounted. Please don't be afraid to post pictures as this thread is designed to share pictures without having someone critique your birds so feel free to post away. If you want a critique I'm sure someone will be willing to jump in and do so. This month I would like for you guys to post a good reference picture if you have one of turkeys doing whatever you want. Just post a good reference pic of you choice. Ill start this off with a bird strutting.

Remember when mounting birds always use live reference and never use a pic of a bird that someone else mounted for your reference

Thanks and post away
    If you need anything give me a call and I will be glad to help
    Brett D

Attached Files:

2. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I was planning on attending the CA show but when the dates were posted I was struck down. Months ago I had booked a spring snow goose hunt in S. Dakota for myself and a kiwi mate. I leave this next monday.
    I like the reference pic. On that note, I've noticed that most turkey mounts are lacking the ventilating breast feathers and they are neatly groomed, but not ventilating. I do see some done this way as pictured above, but most I see are not.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      76.7 KB
      Views:

3. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I tried to post the reference photo of the ocellated pictured above. My customer had emailed it to me but it's a very tiny image and I can't find it on image searches.

4. MikeC

MikeC Proud Conservative

Just got this one back from my taxidermist. I am very happy with it now I am just waiting on my case to be delivered.

[​IMG]

5. Droptine99

Droptine99 New Member

Ref pic

Attached Files:

6. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

Brett, that is a great idea to combine mount pictures and reference pictures in this thread. Most of my reference pictures came from others so I can not post them. I am competing with 2 birds this month so I will post pictures near the end of the month. Thanks again for keeping this thread going.
    Bob

7. ed150

ed150 deer city time

mine for the month, :)nice work everyone,be down to see u soon brett

Attached Files:

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That may be because just because they are strutting, doesn't mean they have shingled feathers, and mounting a smooth breast is much easier. Here is an example of each...
    [​IMG]

9. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Good pic Cole, I stand corrected.

10. jptaxi

jptaxi New Member

IL
    [​IMG]

My turkey I took to the NWTF and ITA shows. Blue at Nashville, and Red at the ITA.... Good work so far this month !

11. stuffr2

stuffr2 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

b.stillwell, That taking off shot is awesome. thanks for posting.
    Bob

13. Buck Deer

Buck Deer Member

KY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

http://photographybyleones.zenfolio.com/p968110416/e10f7c5e1
    http://photographybyleones.zenfolio.com/p968110416/ef9a80e2
    I didn't take any pictures of this before the show so here is the link.

15. With Bretts body and head

Attached Files:

• t1.jpg
      t1.jpg
      File size:
      107 KB
      Views:
  16. Another

Attached Files:

• t2.jpg
      t2.jpg
      File size:
      113.1 KB
      Views:
  17. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Nice job Dave. You might have to change your name to SuperDooperDave.

18. Thanks, just trying to keep up with you.

19. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

a couple i just finished

Attached Files:

20. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

another

Attached Files: